Rod help

Started by joda, February 06, 2016, 08:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joda

Hi all

I currently have the Okuma andros 5ii and shimano teramar mh 20-50 rod as my only set.

Now with some more research and time I've decided to start my second set.

I'm leaning towards the trini 14 or saltiga 15H and plan to put this reel with my current rod as lighter set (teramar 8' mh).

My andros 5ii will be my medium-medium heavy? set but will need a new rod. I was leaning toward a phenix psw 700xh 30-80 but have gotten some opinion about my andros not being strong enough to pair with that heavy of a rod. I've been recommended to go psw700h 20-60# or gloomis pelagic psr90-25 20-30# or psr84-40 30-50#.

I was confused with the recommendations as the pelagic are lighter than what I have on the teramar, but line rating isn't everything.

Looking for some of advice or experience in these rods.

Thanks in advance!

foakes

Welcome, Joda --

You sound like you know quality gear, and are carefully considering your options.

One thing you might look at -- would be to consider a custom made rod on a Phenix or Seeker blank.

There are a couple of fellows on this site whose work is second to none.  However, their prices are very reasonable -- and possibly more importantly, they have the experience and knowledge to recommend just exactly what you would do well with -- after you both talk, and determine your type of fishing, and requirements.

Contact Jon Vadney and Dwight Webb.

You will have a lifetime rod -- and never be sorry.

It is important to get a rod that will work for multiple reels.

You will be getting more reels as the months and years move forward -- if you are serious about your sport.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

What are you planning on loading the 5II with?  I have the psw760h and 700xh.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

the Andros 5II is a solid 30# reel meaning 50-65# braid backing with 30# top shot.  

If you are moving up to a medium heavy rod/reel combination, is this a 80# braid backing with option to use 40-80# top shot?  If so, I would recommend a Penn Fathom or torque 40NLD2, Tiburon SST16, Okuma Makaira 16.

For rods, I would recommend talking to Jon Vadney.  He is a guru for set ups.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

joda,

Some more info would help in recommending a rod. First what lb test are you going to fish on the reel? If spectra backing a reel you should list the lightest line being either the spectra or mono/fluoro topshots you will use. Also what type of fish are you targeting and their size. Also what type of fishing you will mostly do with the rod like live bait, jigging, iron or what.

IMO anyone that recommends a rod without at least knowing this stuff, is just making a wild guess.

Recommendations are a good starting point but if you can it is best to go to a tackle store and pull on all the rods you may want before you purchase one. Ultimately you want to get a rod that feels best to you.  

joda

Quote from: foakes on February 06, 2016, 04:46:34 PM
Welcome, Joda --

You sound like you know quality gear, and are carefully considering your options.

One thing you might look at -- would be to consider a custom made rod on a Phenix or Seeker blank.

There are a couple of fellows on this site whose work is second to none.  However, their prices are very reasonable -- and possibly more importantly, they have the experience and knowledge to recommend just exactly what you would do well with -- after you both talk, and determine your type of fishing, and requirements.

Contact Jon Vadney and Dwight Webb.

You will have a lifetime rod -- and never be sorry.

It is important to get a rod that will work for multiple reels.

You will be getting more reels as the months and years move forward -- if you are serious about your sport.

Best,

Fred

Hi Fred

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it when I'm getting more into this addictive sport!

joda

Quote from: MarkT on February 06, 2016, 06:02:28 PM
What are you planning on loading the 5II with?  I have the psw760h and 700xh.

I plan to put 65# braid and originally wanted to put andros on psw700xh, might be too heavy eh?

joda

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 06, 2016, 06:10:13 PM
the Andros 5II is a solid 30# reel meaning 50-65# braid backing with 30# top shot.  

If you are moving up to a medium heavy rod/reel combination, is this a 80# braid backing with option to use 40-80# top shot?  If so, I would recommend a Penn Fathom or torque 40NLD2, Tiburon SST16, Okuma Makaira 16.

For rods, I would recommend talking to Jon Vadney.  He is a guru for set ups.

I thought of getting another reel for that but might not be immediate since I will be fishin day trips at most 2 days.  Maybe in the future when I have chance to go on longer trips.

joda

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 06, 2016, 06:12:01 PM
joda,

Some more info would help in recommending a rod. First what lb test are you going to fish on the reel? If spectra backing a reel you should list the lightest line being either the spectra or mono/fluoro topshots you will use. Also what type of fish are you targeting and their size. Also what type of fishing you will mostly do with the rod like live bait, jigging, iron or what.

IMO anyone that recommends a rod without at least knowing this stuff, is just making a wild guess.

Recommendations are a good starting point but if you can it is best to go to a tackle store and pull on all the rods you may want before you purchase one. Ultimately you want to get a rod that feels best to you.  

Hi SoCal,

I fish in so cal as well on day trips.  Plan to do a longer trip next year but this year primary target up to yellowtails. 

I plan to put 50# braid on saltiga 15h and 65# on andros.  Plan to use my 8' teramar mH with the saltiga.  This can be used for live bait.

The andros is missing a rod and that's where the suggestion is needed.  I wanted to get psw700xh but people said its not a match.

Your thoughts?

MarkT

psw700xh for 40-50#, h for 30-40#.

SoCalAngler

joda,

Just a couple of things first. If I'm not mistaken the Teramar rod you have is listed is a 10-20 lb stick with 15 lbs being it's sweet spot. If that is in fact the case I'm wondering why you would go with 50 lb spectra as a backing on such a small reel? Sure you can do it but are you comfortable with the yardage you will get on the Saltiga with 50 lb spectra? With that setup I would think of it as 15 maybe 20 lb gear for the 3 B's (Bass, Barracuda and Bonita) and the yardage with 50 lb should be fine for those fish. But, sometimes the tuna are line shy or fixed on smaller bait where you must use 15 or 20 lb on top of the spectra in order to get bit, this is where I could see 50 lb spectra become a issue.

Same thing with the Andros as the spectra backing may be to high to get the yardage you want on those small reels. You did not state if you have a single speed or two speed Andros, but I would assume your thinking of fishing 30 or 40 lb toppers on that reel. Those reels fish 40 lb topshots ok, thought it would not be my first choice, and IMO 50 lb test toppers are too much for those reels.

I'm not trying to say you need bigger reels, heck I'm all about bigger fish on smaller reels, you just may want to rethink your spectra backing choices.

So for me I'd look for a 7' stick where you can fish live bait, dropper loop and the yoyo iron with maybe something like Mark recommended.

I don't fish Phenix rods as I'm a Calstar guy. In a Calstar you can look at a 970 or 610 for a glass rod or a 700MH for a composite. Also, in the Seeker line a 6470 in glass or composite would work well.

The offshore season dosn't really start to go off for a few months now so take your time pull on some rods or blanks and get something you really like.

MarkT

The current cork tape Teramar tmcx80mh is a 20-40 rated rod. My old tmc-x80mh has a reel seat and is rated 12-25, and yes, is a great 15# plastics or 20# bait stick.