Penn Monofil 26, Green Tank

Started by pompano joe, February 07, 2016, 01:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pompano joe

Disclaimer:  Purist hate when I do this...but please let me say I can put it all back together original. 

Here's what you get when you narrow and tank a Penn Monofil 26.  The narrowing was accomplished with a Tiburon P-16 topless frame in silver and a corresponding Penn aluminum spool. Internals are all polished and include a Penn steel main and stainless pinion, stainless steel gear sleeve and A/R dog, and carbon fiber drags. All topped off with a Penn 3 position power handle and ported aluminum jigging knob.
Should produce a usable 12-15 pounds of drag before the pinion crumbles.
Pompano Joe

Ron Jones

Beutiful,
The ringed pinion from a squidder (I think) is stronger. You can fish 40 braid on that reel all day long.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BryanC

Very nice!  I just put together a narrow green monofil myself yesterday.  Mine is not "tanked" like yours.  It has all stock internals and a plastic spool.  I plan to fish it w/ 20 lb mono and no more than 6 lb drag.  It should hold up fine for that. 

Porthos

Quote from: noyb72 on February 07, 2016, 01:21:07 AM
Beutiful,
The ringed pinion from a squidder (I think) is stronger. You can fish 40 braid on that reel all day long.
Ron

It's the 13-200 Surfmaster pinion that I use in my 27: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8805.0

This is because the 29L-100 is corresponding Surfmaster spool that fits the 27, 100, and 180.

My suspicion is that the axle shaft of the 29L-146 is thicker than the 29L-100's hence the shaft hole in the 13-140 would be too wide. Someone with access to all the parts in question will need to confirm since I don't have a Squidder.

Pompano Joe, I think you'll be OK. My 13-200 and the brass 5-155 hasn't crumbled after 2 seasons so it will at least handle the 12lbs drag max that I'm willing to set my 27 to: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15627.0

The thing that WOULD be of concern is what appears in the photo to be a cracked right side plate at 15lbs drag...

bluefish69

I have a completely stock 26. I had the same crack & replaced the side plate. I gave this reel a tough life from the day I bought it in the 60's
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

pompano joe

I've been told that the green pigmented side plates were of a different material that was considerably more brittle than bakelite.  Anyone know the story?
Pompano Joe

mo65

What a cool little reel...love it! :o
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Mastr_toolmkr

I'm sure that it is next to impossible to find. However I am looking to restore this Monofil 26. I am looking for a green non handle side plate. Any other information would be helpful.
Thank you,
Fred

Mastr_toolmkr

I'm sure that it is next to impossible to find. However I am looking to restore this Monofil 26. I am looking for a green non handle side plate. Any other information would be helpful.
Thank you,
Fred

Benni3

They pop up on Ebay sometimes,,,,but if not maybe I could repair it,,,,and paint it,,,,if I could get a good paint match,,,,,, ;D

Fishy247

You can sometimes find green plates on Ebay, but they are pretty pricey.

That narrowed 26 is SWEET! I've been thinking of doing something like that myself.

Donnyboat

Great job Joe, but I see a small crack in the centre of the face plate, be careful not to place to much pressure on the spool, (via the spring bearing in the tail plate), thats what creates the splits, the old Mitchell 600 series reels do it to, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat