avet's response to the grease issue

Started by alantani, December 22, 2008, 04:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on December 22, 2008, 04:36:25 PM
here's the link to rick ozaki's response to the question about greasing avet carbon fiber drags or not.  

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/avet-reels-support/104954-grease-not-grease.html

The LINK sbove no longer works . . . HOWEVER, this one does and will allow you to read the entire thread.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/to-grease-or-not-to-grease.104954/

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Here are some PDF files, including the thread linked to above . . .

Personally, I support greased drags for smoothness and corrosion protection.

Tight Lines !

Swami805

I bought an avet 50 sds when they first came out. Was fishing chunks with it and actually saw 2 big tuna eat them. Put it in strike and zing-pow instant break-off. Never had that happen with my tiagras or Caled-ed penns. We'd test our drags every day with a spring scale on the boat too and felt fine at 30lbs. Changed the leader after the first  thinking it was a bad section of mono, then it happened again. Sold the reel when I got back thinking it was junk. This post explains it pretty good.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mmayo

I can tell you I've been corrected several times at Avet for greasing my reels.  I love their reels and the company, they are wonderful.  I own: SX, MXJ, MXJ Raptor, 3-JX, LX, 2-JX Raptors, HX, HX Raptor, EX 30 and EX 50.  I spend only with them.

I still grease all my Avets with Cal's grease very carefully.
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

Mkozmo626

Hello:

After reading about greasing Avet drags, I decided to give it a try on one of my Avet reels. I have a MXL G2 that has a drag that is not as smooth as my other 3 Avets, it has a "choppy/ jerky" drag when one pulls the line off right at the "trip" torque of the drag setting. So I put about a pea size ball of Cals Drag grease on a stick and spread it evenly on the carbon fiber drag washer. it was a very thin application of grease when it was all spread out and it looks like it absorbed into the drag washer. I put the reel back together and mounted it to a rod and tested it out. Wow was a difference, the drag is nice and smooth with the grease with no degradation in drag force, just like my there Avet reels.

I am not totally sure why this particular reel has the choppy drag to start with, maybe its at one end of the manufacturing tolerance stack up. Thanks for all the great advice on this board. Its really helpful.

One comment on the Fading drag that was seen during the testing with greased drags. If you think about it, a fading drag is sort of a good thing. As line is getting peeled off the spool the torque arm that the line is using to create the torque is shrinking and the tension on the line is increasing to keep the torque on the spool constant. with a fading drag, the line tension stays closer to the intended line tension that was set at a full spool.

Mark

DFT

Do you apply grease on both sides of the drag washer?  I am thinking greasing my JX and HJX, both are MC Raptors.  Need advice from anyone.

MarkT

Yes, grease both sides of the Raptors.  There is pressure on both sides.  I grease both sides of any carbon fiber drag that I can get to. The grease keeps water from getting in to the drag.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

DFT

creech

every avet i worked on for friends and fam always had corrosion on the drag plate. i clean and polish as much corrosion off and lightly drag grease the plate. putting a drag plate back in dry that mates on the drag fiber sides is just asking for the parts dept. IMHO

Carl

aguachico

Bagged an 180# bft on my. greased HX drags. Smooth as butter.  No jerky or sticky runs.  Had the drags labeled and felt confident when I pushed it past 25# of drag to end the fight. Full is at 47#

Thanks Alan.

alantani

you know, for all the grousing i do about avet, they really make a great line of reels.  it's frustrating, because they are just so, so close to being the near perfect reel.  i would love to be president and owner of avet for a day.  yeah, give me just one day.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Squidder Bidder

So, what is the theory for why they discourage greasing the drags?

My guess is that a greased drag might lose some marginal maximum drag numbers on the upper end which are good for marketing but less so for practical applications during fishing. The suits probably don't want to sell a reel with a stated maximum drag that can never be achieved if the drag is greased, so they leave it to the end user to decide to contradict the manufacturer's directions in order to get a better if lower maximum drag. If you grease the drag when Avet directly tells you not to do so, you can't complain if the drag won't achieve the stated maximum - this could just be a matter of California's Consumer Protection laws, and a wink, wink, nudge, nudge to the consumer (that is, grease the drags for slightly lower maximum drag but smoother drag that is less prone to corrosion if you want but we're advertising the highest possible maximum drag numbers to sell our reels against the competition).

alantani

harry and sarkis from avet apparently believe that grease decreases the drag pressure when the reel heats up.  they actually might be correct.  even so, it's my contention that a smooth drag is more important than the risk of losing drag.  hey, the reel has a lever.  want more drag?  just push the lever forward.   ::)
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

aguachico

Maybe I'm an old man, but it seems most standup fights don't need more than 30# of drag.  Of course the rail and harness  gives you the ability to add more drag pressure.

My HX is set to 47# at full, pulled directly off the spool and not the rod.  I don't believe the handle on the HX is built for the drag pressure it can achieve. It twists a bit and is worrisome.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL