alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial avet's response to the grease issue
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
June 01, 2020, 12:17:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: avet's response to the grease issue  (Read 42734 times)
ez2cdave
Sensei

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 11:23:47 AM »

here's the link to rick ozaki's response to the question about greasing avet carbon fiber drags or not.  

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/avet-reels-support/104954-grease-not-grease.html

The LINK sbove no longer works . . . HOWEVER, this one does and will allow you to read the entire thread.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/to-grease-or-not-to-grease.104954/

Tight Lines !
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:41:38 PM by ez2cdave » Logged
ez2cdave
Sensei

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »

Here are some PDF files, including the thread linked to above . . .

Personally, I support greased drags for smoothness and corrosion protection.

Tight Lines !

* Avet Big Game Drag Question.pdf (221.46 KB - downloaded 102 times.)
* AVETS - To Grease or Not to Grease.pdf (1009.55 KB - downloaded 105 times.)
* Warning Do Not Grease Your Avet Drag.pdf (291.81 KB - downloaded 112 times.)
* owners_manual_opt.pdf (1785.44 KB - downloaded 182 times.)
Swami805

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 05:53:09 AM »

I bought an avet 50 sds when they first came out. Was fishing chunks with it and actually saw 2 big tuna eat them. Put it in strike and zing-pow instant break-off. Never had that happen with my tiagras or Caled-ed penns. We'd test our drags every day with a spring scale on the boat too and felt fine at 30lbs. Changed the leader after the first  thinking it was a bad section of mono, then it happened again. Sold the reel when I got back thinking it was junk. This post explains it pretty good.
mmayo

Barking Spider

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 06:19:15 PM »

I can tell you Iíve been corrected several times at Avet for greasing my reels.  I love their reels and the company, they are wonderful.  I own: SX, MXJ, MXJ Raptor, 3-JX, LX, 2-JX Raptors, HX, HX Raptor, EX 30 and EX 50.  I spend only with them.

I still grease all my Avets with Calís grease very carefully.

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.
Mkozmo626

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 05:52:05 PM »

Hello:

After reading about greasing Avet drags, I decided to give it a try on one of my Avet reels. I have a MXL G2 that has a drag that is not as smooth as my other 3 Avets, it has a "choppy/ jerky" drag when one pulls the line off right at the "trip" torque of the drag setting. So I put about a pea size ball of Cals Drag grease on a stick and spread it evenly on the carbon fiber drag washer. it was a very thin application of grease when it was all spread out and it looks like it absorbed into the drag washer. I put the reel back together and mounted it to a rod and tested it out. Wow was a difference, the drag is nice and smooth with the grease with no degradation in drag force, just like my there Avet reels.

I am not totally sure why this particular reel has the choppy drag to start with, maybe its at one end of the manufacturing tolerance stack up. Thanks for all the great advice on this board. Its really helpful.

One comment on the Fading drag that was seen during the testing with greased drags. If you think about it, a fading drag is sort of a good thing. As line is getting peeled off the spool the torque arm that the line is using to create the torque is shrinking and the tension on the line is increasing to keep the torque on the spool constant. with a fading drag, the line tension stays closer to the intended line tension that was set at a full spool.

Mark
DFT

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 04:50:30 PM »

Do you apply grease on both sides of the drag washer?  I am thinking greasing my JX and HJX, both are MC Raptors.  Need advice from anyone.
MarkT

Mission Viejo, CA, USA

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 04:56:01 PM »

Yes, grease both sides of the Raptors.  There is pressure on both sides.  I grease both sides of any carbon fiber drag that I can get to. The grease keeps water from getting in to the drag.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!
DFT

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 05:37:47 PM »

Thanks Mark.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: