How to Wrap Dragon Scales--short version

Started by cbar45, February 10, 2016, 04:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Joe,
Best bet is to make all the mess at one time with your cork/EVA grips on the lathe, clean up, then once you start wrapping don't do anything that's going to raise a lot of dust, and position your rod dryer out of the way so that you can do other things while the rod dries.... since you're in the design/building stage I thought I'd offer unsolicited advice.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Reel 224

Quote from: sdlehr on February 11, 2016, 03:17:49 PM
Joe,
Best bet is to make all the mess at one time with your cork/EVA grips on the lathe, clean up, then once you start wrapping don't do anything that's going to raise a lot of dust, and position your rod dryer out of the way so that you can do other things while the rod dries.... since you're in the design/building stage I thought I'd offer unsolicited advice.

Sid

Sid: Every bit of advice you give me is wheel taken.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

If you do what I do then you will almost always make a little mess on the lathe that must be cleaned up before starting guide work. I personally do not like squared off EVA in a bigger OD that my reel seats so I taper all of my EVA and blend the ends into the reel seat and the butt cap as well. Then add the shrink wrap for a nice finish. Clean up really good and then attach guides.

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on February 11, 2016, 09:04:39 PM
If you do what I do then you will almost always make a little mess on the lathe that must be cleaned up before starting guide work. I personally do not like squared off EVA in a bigger OD that my reel seats so I taper all of my EVA and blend the ends into the reel seat and the butt cap as well. Then add the shrink wrap for a nice finish. Clean up really good and then attach guides.

Basically that is what I would do to shape or taper my cork/EVA to fit the reel seat or finish to the rod thread check. Like I have said before I'm just starting out with advancing my rod building skills, so this is a learning curve for me. In other words, you guys are the experience I'm the sponge.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."