Stainless steel Jack For All Versions 113H, 113 and US113

Started by Black Pearl, February 13, 2016, 07:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Quote from: Keta on April 20, 2016, 11:14:29 PM
You must run fast.
;D ;D ;D Greyhounds are sprinters. They have to slow down sometime....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Keta

Quote from: sdlehr on April 20, 2016, 11:27:57 PM
Quote from: Keta on April 20, 2016, 11:14:29 PM
You must run fast.
;D ;D ;D Greyhounds are sprinters. They have to slow down sometime....

:D  And sheep have handles.  Best day of my life was when the last pasture maggot got loaded into the trailer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Black Pearl

This SS jack for 4/0 is available in my online store (https://squareup.com/store/pro-challenger-llc).

This will fits all versions 113, 267, 268 and all US113 versions.

It is $7.99 each + $1.50each shipping.

eguinn

Quote from: Black Pearl on March 13, 2016, 03:38:22 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on March 13, 2016, 02:45:24 PM
Alan, why do some of your gear sets come from the start with SS eccentric jack and pinion yolk, others do not. Do all models not wear parts similarly?

Thanks.
Sid
Hi Sid,

That is a good question. I can tell you the reason behind it. I have told this to Sal for a long time. On the JigMaster gear set, it has the SS gear set, yoke and jack. The 113H has the gear set and the jack (in about 1 & 1/2 month). The reason I did not make the 113H SS yoke because SmoothDrag have made 113H SS yoke for awhile. I don't want to put Dawn on that situation and make that SS yoke. Eventually, I will just buy the 113H yoke from Dawn.

Thanks,
--Alan
This is interesting, I'll tell you a little about a problem I just discovered. I have a Standard 113h reel with a SS yoke from smooth drag in it, it also has a set of Accurate 4-1 gears in it, what I noticed when playing with it was that the reel didn''t want to come out of gear real easy, I had to play with it & this was or is a intermittent problem. When I opened up the reel what I found where shiny spots on both sides of the yoke where the pinion gear was rubbing & wearing on it, I inspected the pinion gear it looked fine. There should be plenty of clearance as I measured the pinion gear slot & it measured .062 wide, The yoke measured .0475 thick. I did notice burrs around the holes where the screws go & .0005 variation in thickness in the surface of the yoke, also I noticed that the yoke has not been heat treated & the surface is soft. I'm considering going with either a set of your gears or Newell gears. Can you shed any light on this subject? Thanks Ed

Alto Mare

Sounds like your issue is with the pinion, but could also be the spool shaft. Check the pinion by hand and see if it fits all the way up on the spool shaft, this is better then measuring. Also, make sure the spool shaft is nice and clean.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 24, 2016, 10:07:18 PM
Sounds like your issue is with the pinion, but could also be the spool shaft. Check the pinion by hand and see if it fits all the way up on the spool shaft, this is better then measuring. Also, make sure the spool shaft is nice and clean.

Thank Sal for answering it. You beat me to it.

eguinn

Tuns out it was the spool shaft, a little tiny burr up near the end where the pinion seats all the way down, the burr wouldn't let it go all the pinion go all the way down on the spool shaft. Now a question about the yokes, would you want a yoke that is harder or at least as hard as the pinion gear,that would prevent wear on the yoke itself,remember people had a problem with wearing out the brass yokes when Newell & Accurate gears 1st came out, I was really surprised to find out how soft my yoke was, I was able to take the high spots down with a India stone with no problems at all.

Black Pearl

Quote from: eguinn on October 25, 2016, 01:20:26 AM
Tuns out it was the spool shaft, a little tiny burr up near the end where the pinion seats all the way down, the burr wouldn't let it go all the pinion go all the way down on the spool shaft. Now a question about the yokes, would you want a yoke that is harder or at least as hard as the pinion gear,that would prevent wear on the yoke itself,remember people had a problem with wearing out the brass yokes when Newell & Accurate gears 1st came out, I was really surprised to find out how soft my yoke was, I was able to take the high spots down with a India stone with no problems at all.

Since I don't make any 113H yoke, I get them from Smoooth Darg. They seem to be fine. Can you show me a picture of that yoke?

eguinn

For some reason I seem to have a hell of a time trying to post pics on here, it's probably just me. I've already got the yoke put back in the reel. If you go on ebay & look under the Newell catagory, under bridge plates, look at the older P or Blackie Series style that has the pressed in type of pin for the yoke spring with a shoulder, not the kind that uses a E clip to hold the spring in place you will see a lot of their yokes with wear that looks like a groove or the beginning of a groove all the way around the opening where the gear rides. This was /is caused by the pinion gear rubbing on the yoke all the time. On mine it looked the same, there where scratch's on both sides of the yoke the surface where the pinion was rubbing, not super deep but you could feel them with your fingernail. I hope this gives you some idea of what was happening. For what it's worth I bought my yokes a couple of years ago from Smooth Drag so I don't know if anything has changed material wise, maybe the company that made them was using a softer grade of SS, maybe they have started to heat treat them or harden them. Like I said earlier I didn't have any trouble knocking dowm the high spots with a fine file & India Stone. The material used on this yoke was soft, nowhere nearly as hard as the pinion gear. I will tear the reel apart & email you some pics. I hope this helps you get a idea of what I found when I opened up my reel. Thanks ed