Radical Design

Started by Newell Nut, February 16, 2016, 09:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

There are rare times when you just need to do something different. Most of us should agree that a one piece rod will out perform a two piece in casting action and power so I wanted a non-conventional two piece where the blank is one piece with a detachable handle. Makes shipping easier and less expensive and then converts back to a long rod after shipping. The idea and end design is a lot like a two piece pool stick with a threaded insert in one side and screw in the other side. Parts came from Mc Master and carbon fiber tube from Dragon Plate.

The blank is a Rainshadow RCBL79ML 20-40 which is 7'9" and then the 24" handle was added. I had bought some Fl Seminole colors a while back and nobody order a Seminole rod yet so I decided to use them.

Marcq

Cool idea  8) You brainstormed while playing pool  ;D

Nice looking rod

Marc..

Tightlines667

Outstanding work Dwight!
Way to think outside the box.. now it will fit in the box.  Hopefully you get a chance to test it out on your next Hawaii trip.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

surfcaster

That is cool  i love my one piece rods ,they don't travel well does it fish like a 1 piece?
  Thanks Richie

cbar45

Hey Dwight I think you might be on to something here.

Your design reminds me of the old Varmac detachable butts, but with more versatility.

You could make up handles of different lengths and materials to cover a wide range of fishing styles.

Also, the reel seat hood looks to be replaceable should the need ever arise.

Love it!

Chad

Newell Nut

Quote from: cbar45 on February 16, 2016, 11:35:35 PM
Hey Dwight I think you might be on to something here.

Your design reminds me of the old Varmac detachable butts, but with more versatility.

You could make up handles of different lengths and materials to cover a wide range of fishing styles.

Also, the reel seat hood looks to be replaceable should the need ever arise.

Love it!

Chad

Since you mentioned the seat hood, it does screw right off. Different handle lengths are in my thoughts as well. I did several test cast with a 3 oz jig and it cast great. Balance is better than expected too. The rod balances with my finger under the rod about inline with the face of the spool. It just turned out better than expected and will definitely do another when the need arises. If I had a metal lather I would make the metal pieces differently. The bolt is SS 1/4 x 20.

swill88

Very nice Dwight!

My Okuma Andros spinning jigging rod is a similar 2 piece.

The entire handle is one piece and the rod fits in.

Convenient.

Steve

Alto Mare

That looks good Dwight. Now, get on a plane and go get some fish. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jeri

Hi guys,

Fuji have beaten you to this by a good number of years, they have a ferrule reel seat in graphite DPS-LBSD, which I personally was building on rods over 20 years ago. Last year they brought out two lighter versions for spinning and casting rods for the trend towards lighter off shore rods - DPS-BFSD.

A link to the original can be found at:  http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/product/575/category/213  These were the boat rod fittings we were using years ago in the UK, a carbon tube with the reel seat, then the main rod blank had the ferrule - plug up like the older Varmac fitting, and away you go.

Have even used them in recent times for medium weight travel rods for marlin anglers, to build a stand-up 50lb, worked a dream for the client, as the whole assembly was lighter, and with the main rod blank sectioned as well, he could put the whole rod in his carry-on luggage.

As a concept it does give the rod builder a option to have a removable handle and a very strong joint. Strange how we arrive at different answers to the same problems sometimes?

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Marcq

Quote from: Jeri on February 17, 2016, 05:54:20 AM

A link to the original can be found at:  http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/product/575/category/213  These were the boat rod fittings we were using years ago in the UK, a carbon tube with the reel seat, then the main rod blank had the ferrule - plug up like the older Varmac fitting, and away you go.

Jeri

I would use those if it wasn't so expensive
http://www.mudhole.com/Channel-Lock-2-Ferruled-Saltwater-Aluminum-Reel-Seats

Marc..

http://www.mudhole.com/Channel-Lock-2-Ferruled-Saltwater-Aluminum-Reel-Seats

Newell Nut

Quote from: Jeri on February 17, 2016, 05:54:20 AM
Hi guys,

Fuji have beaten you to this by a good number of years, they have a ferrule reel seat in graphite DPS-LBSD, which I personally was building on rods over 20 years ago. Last year they brought out two lighter versions for spinning and casting rods for the trend towards lighter off shore rods - DPS-BFSD.

Have even used them in recent times for medium weight travel rods for marlin anglers, to build a stand-up 50lb, worked a dream for the client, as the whole assembly was lighter, and with the main rod blank sectioned as well, he could put the whole rod in his carry-on luggage.

As a concept it does give the rod builder a option to have a removable handle and a very strong joint. Strange how we arrive at different answers to the same problems sometimes?

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Jeri
Thanks, I like that one with the reel seat epoxied to the rod rather than to the handle. Slightly easier than my method. Are they still made by Fuji? Mine is designed different but still the same principle with the handle coming off and the reel staying on the rod. My total handle cost turned out to be $45 and most of that was the carbon fiber tube. I did not spend a lot of time shopping for a few bucks saved. They had a minimum $30 order so I got a 48" piece and can make another handle if I have the need.

Dwight

broschro

wish i had the extra money for a few custom. :( one day i will get you to build me a few. nice work as always.

Jeri

Hi Dwight,

The older DPS-LBSD are still made, and stocked by Hopkins, they supply us with various components, and are not scared of shipping abroad. The more recent models are obviously scarce, as they don't seem to be popular yet in America, as they are not yet stocked by Anglers Resource, but would probably do up to 30-40lb rods, especially with some opf the slimmer blanks.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

Reel 224

Dwight: That was ingenious!! ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

MarkT

Lots of popping rods are 2-piece and have the ferrule at the front of the grip that the rod slides into.  Invisible and strong.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!