Radical Design

Started by Newell Nut, February 16, 2016, 09:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patudo

The Fuji two-piece reel seats in the link above are priced at £36 to £40 (yes, in pounds sterling).  If you're needing them sent to the US it might better to source one in the States - the Fuji outlet you normally use might be able to order some, or places like acidrod.com might still have some.  It surprises me why they aren't more commonly available, as it's certainly an advantage to be able to shorten a rod for travel etc.  I'd have reservations about using the DPS-LBSD on a heavy stand up 50 personally, but it should be more than adequate for more general types of rods (spinning rods etc).  

I quite like the idea of having screw-in butts of different lengths though.  You could have a long butt for shore fishing and a short one that would be more handy to use on the boat.  

Newell Nut

Thanks for compliments and tips. For my purposes currently I am looking at Spinning applications in the 30 lb range. My source at Get Bit Outdoors has an inquiry into Fuji at the moment. When they return from the Rod Building Expo this weekend I should have an answer on availability and cost here.

Jeri

QuoteI'd have reservations about using the DPS-LBSD on a heavy stand up 50 personally, but it should be more than adequate for more general types of rods (spinning rods etc). 

They are rated by Fuji for tackle up to 50lb, so no problems there. Presonally have built loads of rods with them to that rating, and never a failure. When viewed just as a component, I can understand possible reservations, but once the reel is mounted in the reel seat, then the whole unit becomes considerably stronger, as any break that might try to bend the ferrule unit, will also have to bend the reel shoe - virtually impossible!!

I've even built the fitting onto a jigging rod for 80lb braid usage, and the guy was dragging huge Amberjacks up out of 80 metres of water - never a problem with the rod or the fitiing. There is a tendancy to over-build with components on some fishing rods, and this at times can be a source of excessively heavy rods.

The other more recent models are generally used for up to 30lb rods, and the construction is just as strong as the LBSD, just that they are designed for smaller diameter rod blanks, spinning or casting from boats.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

Patudo

It's the ferrule and lock nut area that would give me some concern. Light weight, for my money, is over-rated in trolling rods, especially 50 lb class and upwards: the rod is in a holder most of the time and when a fish climbs on you won't notice the extra ounces of an aluminium fitting vs plastic against the 12 to 15 lbs of drag or more you'll be wanting to apply - especially if it gives peace of mind.  But, as I said, just my personal view.  If you're holding the rod and working it for hours on end, like the (very nice looking) rod shown in the original photos, a light weight reel fitting (and indeed reel itself) is clearly desirable.