Baja Shore fishing

Started by swill88, February 18, 2016, 06:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Will be down there soon and have a question on Mexican regs for shore fishing.

I have a license though it's not required from the shore.

Can I have more than one rod out there working at the same time?

I would like to cast out bait and set it on a spike and play with a casting rod at the same time.

Steelfish knows the answer I'm sure.... Anybody else?

Steve

SoCalAngler

You should be fine with what your looking to do, no regs from CONPESCA against it.

Where will you be in Baja? A common practice in certain places is to have two setups, one rigged to fish live bait and the other used to snag the bait. The snagging setup is like 4-5 treble hooks tied in line about a foot apart with a sinker at the tail end. You see bait gather or see birds working within casting distance. You cast out and reel very fast while jerking on the rod every few winds. It's work for sure but when you do snag a bait you then put it on the live bait setup and cast it out and wait. If you have a bucket make 2-4 baits and then rest and be ready if a sea monster does take your live bait setup.

Like I said this is alot of work just to get a few baits but well worth it. You may cast 20 or more times before you snag a bait or you may get 3 on your first cast...you never know.   

swill88

Thanks SoCal... First day is San Quintin in a Parker where first thing we try to make bait in the bay. The squid are showing so WSB is first on the list.
Then YT. We usually end uo at San Martin Isle which can be a grab bag. Of course.... the wind will decide what we do.

Wonder if we get an aerator for a bucket and try to keep our bait alive for the next day at the shore.  We might try Camalu or the beaches south of SQ. We make it up a we go!

swill88

Just got an email reply to my inquiry from Stephen Janson of Janson Inshore Tackle in Cabo:

Hi Stephen,
yes you can use several rods from the beach at the same time.
Thanks,
Stephen Janson

Steve

SoCalAngler

The bait snagging thing I was talking about is mostly done from marina's, jetties or somewhere that your out further than the beach.

I don't keep a aerator in a bucket from shore I just change the water when needed.

Well if you have a chance to make squid (candy bait) from the Parker that would be great. Forget the live fin bait and either freeze some squid or use fresh dead. IMO live sqiud are the best bait but either fresh dead or frozen will work better than a fin bait for most applications.

Bring a couple of Sabiki's to make fin bait and a squid jig or two for the squirts. For squid I like the multi type jigs over the single jig, unless the Humbolt's are around.