fin nor ofs 9500

Started by strike115, December 18, 2011, 04:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strike115

I think  that your american tuna are huger than mine...intensive fishing during last year has almost destroyed tuna in Mediterranean Sea, but from a few years they came back!

strike115

Hi,
i asked smoothdrag and they said me that I must find the measure for the piece #2. As I'm not able to take the size by myself i would like toknow if anybody of you knows which is the size of that piece.
I post also the link with the schematics, to see which is the piece.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/fin-nor/Fin-Nor_Offshore_OFS95.pdf

strike115

Is there any kind  of replacement for the piece #28 (anti-reverse pawl)??...if it is a weak point, i would like to change it

alantani

the pawl should be fine...... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

erikpowell

Bula All !  Big FinNor fan here... I've been fishing my OFS 8500 for about 4 years now here in Fiji. These reels are workhorses! Big, heavy, burly, strong studs with enough drag to slow down anything you'll encounter. Its spooled with 80lb Izorline and rides on an NS Black Hole 8'0 Big Pop . It's landed numerous big GT's, YFT, and huge wahoo. Of all my reels, it has proven to be the most corrosion resistant and durable reel in the quiver. Heavy bugger though.. weighs almost a pound more than my Penn9500ssm.. but open them both up and there's no comparison.. Huge CF drag washers, oversize SS gears....40 ounces of Bang for your Buck !  I think the smaller OFS 5500, at 11 oz lighter, with 300yds of 65lb braid can haul just about any fish off the reef or out of the deep blue waters of Fiji. Forget about a Stella...put the money towards fuel instead..

However, these reels do have an achilles heel. The single AR pawl, at least on mine has buggered twice in 4 yrs... Mind you, it's never shredded itself or damaged anything else, it just has a tendency to get sticky and not engage. I used to slop on a big glob of yammy grease because I'm saltophobic. Instead of that, now I grease everything else as normal BUT I only use CorrosionX on the AR pawl and it hasn't stuck again since.
Like Alan said, "The pawl should be fine" ... just don't pack it full of grease..
Bomb proof reels, they're just heavier than most others. That's the only strike against them I can see. I want 2 more!! -  Erik

erikpowell

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 01, 2012, 01:11:20 AM
Hello strike, how do you like that reel. Alan Hawk doesn't recommend it and I was just curious.

Hey Sal !  I had to look up who Alan Hawk was... Hello AlanH... Hope I can hear from you on this:
Sal, in my experience here in Fiji, arguably one of the harshest saltwater environments on the planet. I have seen my OFS 8500 outlast more than a few Saragosas  AND (after I simply re-lubed my AR dog) keep on fishing while my other 2 friends' Stellas sit on a shop bench, 1 with a broken main shaft, the other with a warped rotor. I paid $99 for my OFS 4 years ago. My local charter captain friend says he's chucking his Saragosas in the bin after 1 season and buying FinNors instead. Granted, an OFS may feel heavy & clunky compared to many other reels, but that's what SOLID feels like baby! Like i said before, "40 oz's of Solid Bang for the Buck"

IMHO and experience, *Best budget offshore reels* would have FinNor OFS at the TOP of the list, saragosas don't even make it to the list, and I'm unfamiliar with the other reels.

Check out what the Uyeda Brothers in HI have to say about the OFS9500: http://uyedabrothers.com/Gear/gear.html

So, maybe Sal & I can come up with a double dog upgrade for this.. (notice i didn't say "fix")  ;D
Vinaka !

Dominick

Yea Sal: My Penn Man.  :-* Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.