SHIMANO TI-80WA - Question

Started by Marlinmate, February 11, 2011, 03:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Guys

I just did my first Shimano 80 . Put it back together and everything works fine.......except I don't recall this. See pic.

If I pull/push the handle in or out(blue arrow), the gap where the yellow arrow is, increases or decreases. I would guess the change in the gap is at most 1/8", but i don't recall it being this much before I took it apart.

I have no washers left over so am I overthinking this?

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

alantani

that actually might be normal.  there are really no washers that you can place "out of order" that will do something like this.  we need another reel to check it against.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

there is some play in most tiagra's but not 1/8 either. normally there are 2 shim's on the drive gear where the drive shaft enter's the right side plate. also under the shield there are 2 washer's. one is a square drive and the other has a lip on it. the lip face's inward's or down.  hope this help's

Marlinmate

Thanks for the replies. Anyone have an 80 they can play with and let me know how much theirs moves?

kamuwela

i have 5 130's, 2 50's and 2 80's, checked them all, slight play only. i did have a customer with 5 80's out of the box, 2 of them with this issue. double checked the other 3 and found  the 2 with the play had no shim's. if you remove the main shaft and do not find the 2 shims  over the shaft on the large gear, i bet  adding 2 shim's there will cure your play issue.   before going too deep, check that the washer with the lip facing down goes on first.

Marlinmate

thanks kamuwela....do you know the parts #'s for the shims you talk about?   My reel definitely does NOT have the shims...

Marlinmate

thanks again.....one last question.....got 2 extras you can spare?

kamuwela

let me check my box, i should have a few.

kamuwela

have 2 in an envelope, just for you. send me a pm with your address

Marlinmate

Thank you very much

Check your PM's

kamuwela

just an update talked to marlin mate and found out the 2 shim's fixed him right up. hope this helps other member's who may come across the same problem.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

kamuwela

thank you sal
                         aloha
                          kamu