How to tell if alum. Spool works with 9/0

Started by Sharkin904, February 21, 2016, 08:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkin904

I need a spool, but I know the age of the reel can prevent the 9/0 from using the newer aluminum spool..how do I know if it will work?

foakes

Many on here will know --

Daron, Lee, Ted, Chad, Alan, Bryan, Bill, and probably another dozen other knowledgeable experts.

They will be along shortly.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Sharkin904

Hahah that's what I was hoping for! Thanks Fred. Just ordered the progear for it, last think I needed

akfish

If your 9/0 has ball bearings, not bushings, the aluminum spool should work.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

handi2

Quote from: akfish on February 21, 2016, 09:39:19 PM
If your 9/0 has ball bearings, not bushings, the aluminum spool should work.

That's the only difference. If your 9/0 is really old it will have bushings on each side instead of bearings. That will limit you to using the heavy bronze spool only.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

cbar45

^^What akfish and handi2 both stated^^

9/0's are a relatively straightforward swap as the aluminum spool used (29L-115) has remained unchanged, even on the L2 models.

As long as you have a ball-bearing model an aluminum spool should work.

Here are a few photos showing the difference between the older bushing 9/0's, and the newer ball-bearing models:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Technical/115LDesignChangeRight.aspx

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Technical/115LDesignChangeLeft.aspx

Chad

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Sharkin904

Perfect. Anyone have one they'd part with?? lol, finally finishing up my 9/0. Minus one of Toms frames, because I drug my feet too long  :'(

Shark Hunter

The spool shaft is a lot shorter on the bushing model. They can be found with one piece or three piece spools. I have a new member sending me a 9/0 that was his grandfathers.
It is three piece bushing model. I am in search of a bushing one piece spool if anybody has one for this build.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Yes, I remember seeing a one piece spool on the plates with bushings, but I thought the shaft was the same as later models.
Daron, if you have that spool in hand, give me the dimensions and I'll check and see what I have.
I know I do not have the three piece spool, but should have a couple of brass spools somewhere.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I only have one bushing 9/0 and it has the one piece spool. Randy said he has one, but it is full of line and he is not sure.
I will find it and send you the dimensions.
I can use the one I have, but then the reel will be useless.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I just found mine, I have two new in box aluminum and brass, but the shaft is the same length. I would grab Randy's, as long as it doesn't have a wobble. Those are going to be hard to find, unless you buy a complete reel on line. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!