Simple Green...

Started by Alto Mare, February 22, 2016, 04:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Before

After

4 hours soaking in straight Simple Green, no sanding or wire brush, I simply run it under warm water while using a toothbrush to remove the black for about a minute or two.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

That turned out great, Sal --

I had no idea that SG would work that well.

When I use shovels, axes, sledge hammers, hoes, and such -- particularly in wet or muddy conditions -- I was taught by an old farmer who always had good tools -- to rinse them off with water -- just rag dry -- then spray them with WD-40 before hanging them up.  I would also sharpen the hoes and shovels with an angle grinder -- makes the next job much easier.

But the WD-40 on all tools -- plus a quick wipe down, really keeps them in good condition.

I have a bunch of old pliers and other tools I am going to try your SG trick on.

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ALASKAFISHMAN

Thanks for the info, there is one to keep under your hat...

Brent
Fish and hunt, Fish and hunt, eat, sleep fish and hunt, fish and hunt

Alto Mare

Tried it yesterday just for the heck of it and I thought it was a good idea to share. It's nice to get something this clean with very little effort.
Fred, I don't have the room, but my brother had a warehouse.
I remember him having a couple of 50 gallon trash cans filled with sand and recycled motor oil.
Shovels and other tools used to get stored in there and always looked good.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Sal/Fred...are either one of you running SG in an ultra sonic cleaning machine. Currently I'm using L&R cleaning fluid and this stuff is down right toxic!!! Just wondering what your experiences with this are.
Thnx
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Bob, I believe Fred does, mine just sits in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. When it starts to get darkish gray, I dump it and get another gallon for a couple of bucks.
I probably do that once a year, but I don't clean many parts, this stuff is environmentally friendly, but if you don't have a lid on it, it will stink up the hole house.

Sal

Frank

I run Simple Green in my L&R. Love it.

Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

BMITCH

I'm gonna give the SG a go. It's a whole lot cheaper than the fluid I'm currently using. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

foakes

I run in my L&R, one container of SG cut 50/50 with water -- and one container of Zep Purple Degreaser cut 50/50 with water.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

BMITCH

Yes Fred, that was what I was thinking of doing. I'm fortunate to have two ultra sonic cleaners. One will be Zep and one will be SG. First Zep than SG, in that order. I use mine everyday for heavily greased parts.

kmstorm64

Simple Green, Some of the orange cleaners, white vinegar,  even dollar store CLR works on some things.  I use Simple green and a brush to bet the moss that grows on the boards of the walkway to the house and it does a good job.  Baking soda will work on that as well, everything up here gets green moss coating. Not uncommon to see white "spots in driveways where baking soda has been applied.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

blad

Hytekrednek

simple green is great for many task. Be careful though, it is not so good for aluminum. I ruined a few rifle parts made of aluminum with simple green in an ultrasonic cleaner. I read labels better now and usually confirm with someone I trust before using chemicals or cleaners I havent used before.

alantani

i used laundry detergent (sodium carbonate) and it chewed through the anodizing of a calcutta.  i ended up getting the guy a new reel.  totally my screw up. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Quote from: alantani on August 18, 2023, 03:42:55 PMi used laundry detergent (sodium carbonate) and it chewed through the anodizing of a calcutta.  i ended up getting the guy a new reel.  totally my screw up. 

Yep, Alan —-

Been there.

After making mistakes, and also figuring out what works most effectively and safely on different types of parts —-

Aluminum, painted, anodized, graphite, plastic, steel, brass, bronze, alloys, etc —- my go-tos on 95% of the jobs are —-

Dawn HD dish soap, lacquer thinner, simple green cut 50/50 with water.

And then a good feel for stopping the cleaning process before issues (crap) happens.

This last part comes with experience —- and there are still the occasional screw-ups.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.