tld star 15/30 and 20/40

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juan and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

yakfisher

Thanks Justin,
                   I took the side plate off. There was a bit of grease on the springs which I removed. I couldn't see any imperfections or rust on the spool shaft. Put it back but behaves the same. Perhaps I should just use it for a while and see if it wears in?

Cheers,
Mark

redsetta

G'day Mark,
Might want to check the yoke - any slight bend or distortion could be angling the pinion slightly.
Whatever the issue is, it seems (as CapeFish noted) to be in/around the pinion, spool shaft and/or yoke...
Never know, it may just settle down with use ;)
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

yakfisher

Ok,
    I took it apart again and examined the various parts carefully. The spool shaft is very smooth and shows no sign of rust. The yoke is straight and moves up and down the posts fairly smoothly. The springs are both intact and feel quite strong to squeeze (not that i'd know what they are supposed to feel like).

I did notice that when sliding the pinion up and down the shaft there was a slight feeling that it was not sliding smoothly. When I looked closely at the underside of the pinion gear it appears that there may be a very small lip/burr on the edge of the straight face that locks on to the spool. Could this be the problem? I was thinking about smoothing it off with a flat hobby file and seeing if that helps. You can't see the surface of the gear very well in the photo but you can see the area i'm talking about.

Cheers,
Mark

alantani

mark, it sounds like you found your problem!  give it a shot and then please let us know. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

yakfisher

Smoothed it off but unfortunately didn't solve the problem. You guys are definitely right through I reckon - has to be with the spool shaft, pinion or yoke. Will pull it back apart and re-examine it all and let you know. How many times can you take these apart before the screws start to get loose!  ;)

Another question though - Is there a way to make these reels more waterproof. The spool bearing looks quite vulnerable to water penetration to me. Considering that I will not be casting from the kayak, would it help to apply grease the spool bearing rather than use corrosion-X?

Thanks,
Mark

alantani

that one is easy.  install greased carbon fiber drags and never worry about them again.  pack the handle drive shaft bearing with grease and take it off the worry list as well.  for spool bearings, open them up and then pop the left side plate off and lube them after every trip.  the right side plate is now zero maintenance.  it's only the two spool bearings and that takes only a few moments.

yakfisher

Thanks Alan,
                 Just waiting for the drag washers to arrive in the post and will do the other things recommended. With such basic ongoing maintenance requirements I can see this reel is going to be a pleasure to own!

Cheers,
Mark

yakfisher

I have had one final attempt to resolve the issue of the pinion gear hanging up on this reel. The yoke definitely operates fine - it is the pinion gear that is catching. I have smoothed of the edges of the pinion gear carefully but this has not fixed it. I have removed all grease from the inside of the pinion gear and the spool shaft and lubed with corrosion-X. The spool shaft appears fine but I guess it's possible that the angled faces that direct the pinion to lock down may not be the right angle although they appear smooth.

I wonder if it may be worth pursuing a new set of gears to see if this helps and if not perhaps even a replacement spool. Not sure how cost effective this would be though. Shimano Australia didn't want to know about it since the model is not sold here. I emailed Shimano in the US to ask where I could get these parts from and they just recommended that I send it in to them for repair and gave me a lecture for not buying from an Authorised retailer.. which is fair enough. Definitely would not be cost effective as postage to and from the US would almost add up to the cost of a new reel.

Does anyone know whether the gears in these are the same as TLD Lever drag series or any other model?
Is the spool same as any other model?

I have done the upgrades as recommended. Curious that the spool bearing was greased from factory but the drive shaft bearing was oiled... would have thought it should be the other way around.

Thanks for all the help. The reel is fishable but a bit annoying having to compenate for the issue by giving it a hard crank each time it has been put into free spool to make sure the gears are properly engaged.

Also I have a bit of OCD and an inner need to fix things!
Cheers,
Mark

alantani

send me an e-mail with your address and i'll send you a gear set.  alantani@yahoo.com

yakfisher

Hi everyone,
                 Thought I would give you an update on the issue of the pinion gear not seating properly on the TLD 15/30s. I liked this reel so much despite the issue I was having that I bought another one from a US retailer. It behaves pretty much the same way in that it requires a sharp turn of the handle to properly engage the pinion. I guess it is possible that a batch of these are affected, or perhaps they are just manufactured this way. I have gotten used to it now. Great little reels and very easy to work on.

Cheers,
Mark

CaptKev

Mark,

I own 9 TLD 20/40's. I thought mine were B/O from the factory, but 7 of them have the condition you described...sort of. The other 2 are slightly better. I bought 8 new and 1 used. 

"If I give the handle a sharp crank forwards, then there is an audible clunk and the increased resistance goes away and it all feels nice and smooth." I definitely have the clunk, but no noticeable resistance that I can feel in the handle.

IMHO, I think that's the way they are designed. I did notice that if I engage the lever by flipping it hard, it seems to engage easier. I guess if it always engages, then it's all good. Once it's engaged, there no problem whatsoever. I'm hoping that the condition dissipates over time as the reel wears, but it is a little annoying.

I haven't fished the reel yet, but that will change soon I hope.

Kevin   

yakfisher

Thanks Kev, that is reassuring. Mine also seem to engage better if you give the free-spool lever a good hard flick when re-engaging the spool but this only helps some of the time.

I appreciate all of the help guys,

Mark

basto

Can anyone tell me why the non metal washer, key 96, (black one) is a different material to all the other non metal washers in the drag stack. I noticed the same thing on my Mark 1 Triton. 
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

No? Gee I thought someone here would know. OK, I`ll ask Shimano.
Thanks anyway.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

yes i noticed that but who knows why ??? shimano definitely will give you an answer but for  me  it  doesn't matter because i've  changed mine to carbontex washers...