tld star 15/30 and 20/40

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

I own' t know. Bought a new TLD 15 in '14 and it came with a nice clamp.
In the above post, I 's thinkin mainly bout the "vintage" reels section of the "-Bay" and mostly Penns.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

Ive seen Okuma handles that might fit very cheap at Tuna Troubles website.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Craigen

Here's my new/old 3GT on a new Okuma Cortez 701HA rod I got for $58.

Craigen

I got over 20# of drag off the reel with spring scale but that was with the star really buttoned.  Strung up with a bend on this rod feels good even at high drag settings but not totally maxed.  BTW, this Cortez rod kinda feels like a Phenix PSW 700H, not bad absent aluminum reelseat. Another picture:

handi2

I have 20 of the 20/40 reels in the shop from a charter boat. Every one of them needs a new drive shaft bushing. I hope Shimano has enough.

I own 3 myself but have never used them. They seem to be bullet proof.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

Craigen

So Keith, are those drive shaft bushings prone to failure or were these reels subjected to extreme abuse and/or lack of maintenance? 

CapeFish

Quote from: handi2 on June 26, 2018, 10:14:50 PM
I have 20 of the 20/40 reels in the shop from a charter boat. Every one of them needs a new drive shaft bushing. I hope Shimano has enough.

Keith

Won't the Trinidad drive shaft bearing fit if you can't find bushings?

Leviathan311

Quote from: CapeFish on June 27, 2018, 07:53:40 AM
Quote from: handi2 on June 26, 2018, 10:14:50 PM

Keith

Won't the Trinidad drive shaft bearing fit if you can't find bushings?
Tearing down and cleaning/upgrading  a 15/30. Any updates on these bushings? Would TSI301 treatment, and then some grease improve durability?

alantani

there is a bearing to match the bushing.  just measure it and we can find one.  i likely have a bunch. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Quote from: Craigen on June 26, 2018, 10:51:49 PM
So Keith, are those drive shaft bushings prone to failure or were these reels subjected to extreme abuse and/or lack of maintenance? 

These reels have been rode way too hard over the years. The gears are fine. 8 of them the hole in the frame for the drive shaft bushing has gotten too large.

Your reels will be fine. When assembled the drive shaft bearing keeps the drive shaft stable.

Here is a picture of the worn out parts.

Gulf Breeze, FL

Leviathan311

basto

Quote from: alantani on June 23, 2018, 03:15:05 PM
i thought they came without clamps....   :-\

You are correct Alan. They do come without clamps. I use Torium clamps and Penn clamps on mine.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Mrc70

Hello everyone.  I have a dumb question.  For the Key Washer "F" part # 0093, does the concave face the reel or does it face out towards the handle??  I cannot tell from the pictures nor the schematic..  Thanks.

Mjg378

I've put it toward the reel.    97 l 96 l 95 l 94 l 93 )  Others with greater knowledge might correct me but hope this helps you

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!