tld star 15/30 and 20/40

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juan and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mrc70

Cor

Quote from: Leviathan311 on July 10, 2018, 03:51:41 AM
Quote from: CapeFish on June 27, 2018, 07:53:40 AM
Quote from: handi2 on June 26, 2018, 10:14:50 PM
I have 20 of the 20/40 reels in the shop from a charter boat. Every one of them needs a new drive shaft bushing. I hope Shimano has enough.

I own 3 myself but have never used them. They seem to be bullet proof.

Keith

Won't the Trinidad drive shaft bearing fit if you can't find bushings?
Tearing down and cleaning/upgrading  a 15/30. Any updates on these bushings? Would TSI301 treatment, and then some grease improve durability?
These bushings and the plastic handle nut  plate are probably the only problem area on these old workhorses. There are two different type of drive shaft bushings, one has a E clip on the end and the other a small screw. I think the E clip was the better and more recent solution.   If the the screw type, it needs loctite as it always works its way loose,

The attached photo shows the preferred handle nut plate, cheap, very effective and fits a variety of reels.    The old plastic ones you may come to fetch for free ;D

These reels are still very much in use here so the parts should be available.   I would try to use epoxy to replace the bushing in to the worn frame.
Cornelis

davidshelton

Just a quick question but is there a torque setting for the handle nut that holds the handle onto the brass drive shaft? Or how tight should that be? The plastic handle nut plate was cracked on mine when I received it so I guess I have a good excuse to upgrade the handle especially as I want to use that reel for Jigging(tld star 20/40) and bottom fishing.
It's amazing the difference in that reel just by changing out the spool shaft bushing for a bearing and putting in the Carbontex drag stack! I would never have thought this reel was worth looking at. To think I almost bought a new Torium before seeing this thread ::)

Leviathan311

It's been more than a few years since I first saw this thread.
After purchasing a few on eBay, doing the upgrades, especially Alan's handle upgrade, I can honestly say this reel continues to amaze me in regards to torque, drag, casting, and simplicity. It is an absolute pleasure to fish, and I have turned quite a few of my Jigmaster weekend warrior friends onto the TLD 15/30 as well.

Cor

Handle nut must be tight but not so tight as to strip the thread. :D

I've never heard of a torque setting for those, it's a feeling you need which you get when you've stripped a few and after you've paid for the new shafts.   I developed that when I was very young and those parts were very expensive.
Cornelis

k1n

Odd question:
Does everyone's clicker look misshapen? I came accross a killer deal on a barely used one, broke it down and did the recommended upgrades (still thinking about the better grip). Everything inside was absolutely mint (with dried grease). Only thing off was the clicker ring. Any input? It still functions, just took me by surprise how it wasn't a perfect ring.

Bryan Young

Quote from: k1n on July 16, 2019, 12:15:28 AM
Odd question:
Does everyone's clicker look misshapen? I came accross a killer deal on a barely used one, broke it down and did the recommended upgrades (still thinking about the better grip). Everything inside was absolutely mint (with dried grease). Only thing off was the clicker ring. Any input? It still functions, just took me by surprise how it wasn't a perfect ring.
Would you please attach a picture to help us provide you with appropriate feedback? 

Thank you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

k1n

Bryan Young

Oh, I've seen a few of those conditions.  It usually from guys that like reeling in with the clicker on for the excitement.  It'll still work.  If the asymmetry bugs you, bend each side with a needle nose pliers until it's symmetric. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

k1n

Wow, learned something new. Thanks!

boon

Wow, look at the wear on the click tongue as well. Almost certainly gets fished all the time with the clicker turned on.

davidshelton

So the plastic handle nut plate gave up the ghost and the retainer screw fell off sometime during a hot schoolie YFT bite.... was fun keeping the handle from falling off the 20/40! The other reel has not given me that issue. Where can I get a replacement(or upgrade) for this?
cheers!

AC49

Hi All

Does anyone know if the TLD-STAR 20/40S came out in a left handed version ?

Regards
AC49

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

Quote from: davidshelton on July 19, 2019, 04:27:11 AM
So the plastic handle nut plate gave up the ghost and the retainer screw fell off sometime during a hot schoolie YFT bite.... was fun keeping the handle from falling off the 20/40! The other reel has not given me that issue. Where can I get a replacement(or upgrade) for this?
cheers!
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17.msg295511#msg295511
Cornelis