tld star 15/30 and 20/40

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Zeke, Juan and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AC49

enfish

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere and I can't find it. I have a 15/30 and a 20/40, both Japan made, that I've upgraded the drags and bearings on. Both of them are having the same issue. I'm only getting about 20-25 seconds of free spool out of each reel, basically the same as i was getting before i swapped out the bushing for the bearing. If I crank on the handle with the reel in free spool, the spool will start slowly spinning backwards. If I assemble the reel without the pinion gear installed, it will free spool forever. So this makes me think there is not enough clearance between the spool shaft OD and the pinion gear ID, and they are rubbing together.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to either open up the pinion gear thru-hole slightly or turn down the spool shaft slightly, or any other suggestions on how to maybe lubricate the parts to help them slide a little bit easier? I'm concerned about removing too much material and putting too much slop in the pinion gear which may make it not engage in gear properly.

Thanks,
Eric

boon

How much grease went in there for a start? If it's slightly tacky grease it can definitely cause these parts to drag.

Next up I would get some extremely fine wet/dry sandpaper and polish the spool shaft, followed by the inside of the pinion gear - wrap the sandpaper around something like a Q-tip and then hold it stationary inside the gear and work the pinion gear between your fingers.

enfish

Quote from: boon on September 09, 2019, 11:32:55 PM
How much grease went in there for a start? If it's slightly tacky grease it can definitely cause these parts to drag.

No grease. There was a drop or 2 of CorrosionX on the spool shaft, but I cleaned that off trying to resolve the issue.

Next up I would get some extremely fine wet/dry sandpaper and polish the spool shaft, followed by the inside of the pinion gear - wrap the sandpaper around something like a Q-tip and then hold it stationary inside the gear and work the pinion gear between your fingers.

Thanks. Makes sense. I have some 2500 grit sandpaper I will start with.

Cor

In my experience the friction between the spool shaft and the disengaged pinion is significant.   

Polishing the shaft makes a big difference and a drop of very thin oil at the most!

It needs regular cleaning as grease from the gears does get on to the shaft.   Use minimum grease!

These reels generally cast quite well and replacing the bush with a bearing has little noticeable effect.   I replaced bushes with bearings a number of times but found little benefit.  The Speedmaster comes out with a faster retrieve and extra bearing but is otherwise the same reel.

Cornelis

alantani

Yeah, polish the spool shaft and inside of the pinion gear to a mirror finish.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

enfish

Thanks guys!

So, best way to polish? Fine grit wet sandpaper?

alantani

buffing compound and a dremel polishing bit for the spool shaft.  to clean out the inside of a pinion gear, i've used an undersized drill bit or reamer.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on September 10, 2019, 08:41:44 PM
buffing compound and a dremel polishing bit for the spool shaft.  to clean out the inside of a pinion gear, i've used an undersized drill bit or reamer.

Don't forget to wear eye protection . . .

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

ez2cdave

Alan's EXCELLENT tutorial, in easy to download PDF format ( BELOW )

Tight Lines !

Dave F.

Caseymcv

I did the rebuild and it works fine.  But it has an annoying click with the retrieve, with the clicker on its even louder, anything to reduce this?

Leerie18

Are you perhaps referring to the clicking of the A-R pawl?
That is totally normal with this reel, in fact, if you do not hear it, you have a much more serious problem.

LBG addict!

Leerie18

Here it is sitting as it engages the anti-reverse ratchet. The spring tension keeps it tight against the ratchet to prevent disengagement, and so the clicking noise comes from the pawl slipping over the ratchet "teeth" when retrieving.
LBG addict!

Cor

AR system on this reel is one of its strong points, noisy as it is.
Cornelis

ez2cdave