Question?

Started by anglingarchitect, February 24, 2016, 01:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglingarchitect

What should I have to pay on ebay for a clean 9/0 to use with this nice Al frame I just got.

Steve-O

Depends.....a screaming deal would be a nice one for under a 100.

Right now I see some @ $50 - $150 being the going rate.

Then there's a "really special" on e for $1200.00

Keep your eye on a few and see how they end. Trust your gut and bid on some. I have gotten some super deals buy just watching and waiting. Miss a few and then strike gold.

HtH and good luck.

anglingarchitect

No Luck yet on a 9/0, but I got another 113h for $ 37.00 which I was happy with.

Lost out on a couple of clean 9/0's that went for $100.00+

Big Tim

As an eBay vet I agree with the thought of look at what people paid for what you are looking for and set your'e price range and then for sure go with your gut feeling. If you are happy with the end price it won't matter.

BT

Shark Hunter

Patience Mark,
You will get one. ;)
Life is Good!

Aiala

Be sure your target is A) a ball bearing model and B) comes with an aluminum spool. If you have to upgrade these, it'll add a pretty penny.

Best of luck!   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

You have gotten good advice from everyone, A. Architect --

Here are a couple more to throw in the pot -- or not...

Put out a request on Alan's site for a 9/0 -- you will likely get a decent one, in stock condition, for a fair price.

When doing ebay-- remember, there are professional sellers with starting prices of $1 -- and no reserve.  These are seasoned sellers that know the market will bring them the highest prices.

There are amateurs, who are unsure and fearful that the precious item they are getting rid of -- won't bring what they hope (the Mother Lode) -- so they have a high starting price.

There are unknowing sellers who have a low BIN price -- watch for these at 2:00 AM -- then jump on them.

Then, there are another couple of dozen variations for buyers and sellers. 

At the end of the hunt -- any buyer can make their own rules when buying -- and get the item they wish, for a low or reasonable price -- just by price adjusting and offset averaging:

Lets assume you want a nice, cherry, stock Penn 9/0 -- but the prices are running a little (or a lot) higher than you feel comfortable paying.  Don't worry about it -- just price adjust, according to a strategized plan.

Let's say you consider buying 5 reels, instead of 1. 

If you can buy 3 or 4 reels under market -- then you would have the room to get that really nice 9/0 -- that may be $160 -- instead of $90.  But, like you just said, during your hunt, you found a nice 4/0 for $37 (about $20 under marker, likely).  Do 3 or 4 like this -- buy the nice 9/0 for whatever -- then sell the 4 other reels for a $20 profit each.  You now have a great condotion reel for $80 -- effectively.  If you do 4 more of these -- your 9/0 is free.

This is basic math -- but large and small companies do it all the time -- buyers and sellers have done this for 5000 years.

Don't let one transaction or deal rule your purchasing plans.  For me, it is just trying to think three demensionally, instead of just one.

But if you have a strategy in place -- a nice 9/0 will likely be offered from this site -- and you will have what you want.

Patience and planning are your friends here.

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sharkman

Another avenue if you are mechanically inclined and willing to work on reel. People sell reels really cheap when they think they are old and crusty or broken. You can usually pick these up for a very cheap price. Penn reels are tough. I have bought some crusty looking reels and they are a diamond in the rough.  Just picked up 2 9/0s and four rods for well under 100 bucks. An old man once told me don't focus on price if you can afford it and it makes you happy then it was worth what you paid for it.  Just my two cents.

anglingarchitect

I got a pretty clean one, all wrapped up in a reel cover. I tore it open last night and was clean inside as well.

foakes

That is a great looking old Senator, Mark --

Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

She's a beauty. Cant actually think of a Senator I don't like! Will it be a stocker or a hot rod?
.....................Lou

anglingarchitect

Got to hot rod it some, it's not a shelf queen, going to fish it.

handi2

By looking at the pictures you got a great one. It looks almost new.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

anglingarchitect

Little grease on the gears and pretty smooth, the eccentric lever is funky stiff, so I will take it apart when I get some more internals to put in.