Recommend castable reel for shark

Started by NYIsles55, January 23, 2016, 01:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

I use penn spinfisher 10500 loaded with 100lb braid. This combo works pretty good and very castable. Largest shark on this combo was 8 foot hammerhead. Just purchase penn torque 9 for second spinning combo for surf. Loaded it with 100lb braid also.  The torque doesn't hold as much line as the 10500 due to the 10500 ability to run straight braid no backing. Good luck and tight lines.

CapeFish

Quote from: NYIsles55 on January 25, 2016, 08:50:46 AM
Quote from: CapeFish on January 25, 2016, 08:46:09 AM
Quote from: NYIsles55 on January 25, 2016, 06:45:20 AM

Hi, we land huge sharks casting with conventional reels in South Africa, it's a bit of a specialty here. The new FinNor Lethal 30 should be high on your list. You need to back up the reel with 600m or more of 50lb braid and stick 50-60lb mono on top, you should get around 200m or so and then you need to finish it with a very thick leader of at least 1mm nylon of around 10m. Your trace should be about 1m of 200lb steel cable, coated or uncoated, doesn't matter too much. A 9ft rod is too short though to do any serious casting with. the reel needs to be at the bottom of the rod otherwise you will never be able to hold on to the spool and power the cast properly and you can't use a rod bucket with a long handle rod. The rod should be able to handle 8oz sinker with big bait.

Those new metal senators also look like decent reels for the job or you can also look at the torium 50 or trinidad 40 or 50 if you can find any. If you want to use a spinning reel then look for a big, powerful offshore spinning reel like a saragossa, quantum or lethal, fill it with braid

The 12 foot rod I'm getting is actually in the style of what you guys use down there and built by there, with the reel seat around 8 inches away from the button, so it's nice to have you chime in. Do you have any opinions/experience with the Fin Nor Marquesa 20 or 30, or the Okuma Andros 12II or 16II? Just want to make sure I make the right choice.

OK then you are on the right track. Those are lever drags, they should work well, but they are just very fast generally so you will need to know your stuff when it comes to casting. Jeri, from Namibia on here will be able to tell you more about them, I haven't used a lever drag in a while from shore, but the Marquesa and Shimano Talica are used here, they are certainly fantastic reels, it's just handling the speed. I am not familiar with the Okuma Andros.

I didn't know Jeri was on here. I met him on another forum. He's who I'm getting the rod from. He gave me great advice on reels on both this other forum and through my email inquiries. I just want to explore all my options before I get the reel.

The andros looks like a forgivable caster, it's magged.
[/quote]

If you are getting your rod from Jeri then you are in the business, let us have a report back once you get it

sharkman

For castable shark set-up. I use penn spinfisher 10500, penn torque 9, and fin nor offshore 6500.

Rivverrat

I missed this thread when it was originally posted. The Andros is not magged. Its a mechanical cast control that works off a slight preload on the drag. The Andros 12  comes in a high speed model & a 4.7:1 with a 2.1:1 low gear on both the high & low speed versions. I would put this reel "close" to an Avet LX in it size & capacity. Its quality I believe is noticeably better when compared to the Avet in the Raptor series. Though the Avet may be a better caster. However with the size baits you'll be using for shark I dont know that you'll notice it much.

I am really liking my Andros 12. This real will make 20 lbs. of drag with out side load or bearings becoming an issue. I do need to add here that mine has never seen the salt & I've only fished it one season. But my one season of use is probably equal to somes 4. My question for your use would be how well this reel will handle the heat that will be generated by the the fish your after & a prolonged battle. Im not just talking about one or two successful trips. More importantly hows the reel going to be after a few seasons of this ?
But this will be a question for any reel thats castable putting out this level of drag.

Fish I'm after can get a reel warm but I've yet to run into a catfish on my rivers that have got a reel hot from stripping off large amounts of line. That just isnt how my fishing works. If you tear down & relube everything regularly you might be alright.    However if you stay at this endeavor long I cant help but think your eventually going to want something bigger than an Andros 12.  But you were asking for something thats castable & might work. Personally I bet for light tackle sharks I could make a HX Raptor or even a Penn US113 work with the right rod. For some those 2 choices are to heavy for a caster....Jeff

NYIsles55

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 15, 2016, 05:37:49 AM
I missed this thread when it was originally posted. The Andros is not magged. Its a mechanical cast control that works off a slight preload on the drag. The Andros 12  comes in a high speed model & a 4.7:1 with a 2.1:1 low gear on both the high & low speed versions. I would put this reel "close" to an Avet LX in it size & capacity. Its quality I believe is noticeably better when compared to the Avet in the Raptor series. Though the Avet may be a better caster. However with the size baits you'll be using for shark I dont know that you'll notice it much.

I am really liking my Andros 12. This real will make 20 lbs. of drag with out side load or bearings becoming an issue. I do need to add here that mine has never seen the salt & I've only fished it one season. But my one season of use is probably equal to somes 4. My question for your use would be how well this reel will handle the heat that will be generated by the the fish your after & a prolonged battle. Im not just talking about one or two successful trips. More importantly hows the reel going to be after a few seasons of this ?
But this will be a question for any reel thats castable putting out this level of drag.

Fish I'm after can get a reel warm but I've yet to run into a catfish on my rivers that have got a reel hot from stripping off large amounts of line. That just isnt how my fishing works. If you tear down & relube everything regularly you might be alright.    However if you stay at this endeavor long I cant help but think your eventually going to want something bigger than an Andros 12.  But you were asking for something thats castable & might work. Personally I bet for light tackle sharks I could make a HX Raptor or even a Penn US113 work with the right rod. For some those 2 choices are to heavy for a caster....Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Eventually, I'll start looking at larger things for larger shark like a 50w, but that's a few years down the road, and I don't have a kayak or anything to get the baits out far enough for something that could challenge a 50w, plus where I live and will do the majority of the fishing, I won't have to get the bait that far out.