pinion bearing

Started by Jasondstub, February 13, 2016, 03:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasondstub

is there any advantage in changing the pinion bearing to a ceramic one or is it best to get a stainless one?

Tightlines667

Stainless.

Ceramic is harder and may fail easier under load or with salt or debris intrusion.  I think the more durable, slightly looser tollerance ABEC 5 Stainless packed with grease is the way to go for a bearing that has to bear side loads.  Ceramics typically operate better dry, and are usually utilized where reduced friction is desired.  The ceramic part is also corrosion resistant, though the cage and races are still subject to these affects.  The felt smoothness when cranking under load is also affected by the pinion bearing, and Ceramics can add just a bit of felt roughness here.

Really having a good/clean properly functioning bearing here.. i.e. requiring regular servicing... is more important then what type of bearing you have.  
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jasondstub

handi2

No need for it on that reel. That bearing gets a lot of side load and is not strong enough.

Some people use ceramic pinion bearings in their surf reels but never in a conventional reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Jasondstub

I'm hoping it just needs a service. Handle feels notchy to turn when the drags pushed up.

akfish

Pinion bearings are the first thing to go on all lever drag reels. Just replace it; if it feels the least bit scratchy when pressing and turning it in your hand, it needs to be replaced.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

johndtuttle

Quote from: Jasondstub on February 15, 2016, 03:17:23 PM
I'm hoping it just needs a service. Handle feels notchy to turn when the drags pushed up.

SS bearings will resist the axial loads (crushing) created by LD reels far better than Ceramic.

Ceramic bearings have very little utility in Saltwater reels. They can be used in a 704/6Z but still packed with grease to prevent corrosion.

The only real use I know of though is in ultralight low profile bass reels used for flipping. Then the tiny bit of extra speed is useful to a few guys and the bearings have to be fished dry.

Everyone else is using casting brakes to slow down regular SS bearings as they are more than fast enough.

Tiddlerbasher

For replacement bearings I usually go for Boca ss Abec 3/5 bearings. For the small baitcasters and beach reels I opt for Boca Orange seals (ceramic balls) but only for the two spool bearings - These do give an improved spool speed for casting ;)

Hook um

Quote from: Jasondstub on February 15, 2016, 03:17:23 PM

Have you check your drag washers? Are the metal washers flat & smooth? Was the reel stored with the drag engaged?

You may need to add Cal's Drag Grease to the fiber washers and/or update to Carbon Fiber Washers + Delrin Washer under the Gear to obtain a smoother performance....

Note: Release/Truth reels are guaranteed for life. Just send it in for service.

Bob

RiverAngler

I was just going to say that.  Now Truth reels, the should honor the warranty. Ask in the truth reels section.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!