Fin Nor LT 100

Started by Shark Hunter, February 25, 2016, 02:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PRSD

Well the update.
I gave the reel a little workout on sunday. Not as planned, but of the wharf down tarthra. One big ray that i could not stop just kept cranking up the drag until the 50lb braid broke. Had a 100lb leader and circle hook. Stopped tightening the drag when when it become to hard to stay standing up.
The other one was when something done 100m in less then 10 seconds and cut me of in the rocks. Thinking shark or kingfish. Never seen what it was but very fast and dirty fighter.
Over all inpressed with the reel. Smooth drag even at high settings. Will go over it when i give it a clean

alantani

not a big fan of anyone's 50 pound braid.  seen them break too often. i prefer 60 hollow or 65 solid as a minimum for anything heavy duty.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

PRSD

So true with the braid. Unfortunately  here in Australia we tend to pay through the nose when it comes to quality. We seem to be the dumping  ground for most things.
The braid i have soon be had, was sold as sport fisher. Cheap but in my price range at the time. I think i will go to mono on the lethel and stay within the 15kg limit. Might be easier on the reel long term,  definitely easier on me until i get back up to full health.

Shark Hunter

I started this thread 2 years ago.
A Shark from the beach was finally caught with one of these reels by my Son.
It performed like a champ.
Life is Good!

philaroman

Quote from: alantani on April 30, 2017, 04:58:36 PM
not a big fan of anyone's 50 pound braid.  seen them break too often. i prefer 60 hollow or 65 solid as a minimum for anything heavy duty.

many affordable brands jump from 4-strand to 8-strand, at 60/65 lbs...  maybe that's why

Rivverrat

Quote from: philaroman on May 24, 2018, 02:59:39 AM
Quote from: alantani on April 30, 2017, 04:58:36 PM
not a big fan of anyone's 50 pound braid.  seen them break too often. i prefer 60 hollow or 65 solid as a minimum for anything heavy duty.

many affordable brands jump from 4-strand to 8-strand, at 60/65 lbs...  maybe that's why

I agree with Alan on this. With that said I would like to see shock load testing on different makes & strand count on 50 braid... Jeff

JasonGotaProblem

So I see people far smarter than myself suggesting a service for these reels before using. What would that service entail? Are there any areas that need special attention? I've owned this reel for about a month now, cast it a few times but haven't hooked anything yet. Better late than never?

In the years since this was released has anyone figured a solution to the snapping stems? Was wondering if I should just have my buddy weld on some extra aluminum to beef it up. He's really good but i suspect it still wouldn't be the prettiest solution. But that's ok as long as it works.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Gfish

#97
If I remember, mine came outta the factory with a pretty good lube job. I would just make sure the drag washers are greased, then partially remove parts in the gear box and rotor and make sure the grease is covering everything. I paint parts such as side-plates, etc., with marine grease. If there's any scratched anodizing that grease may prevent corrosion.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Porthos

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on September 02, 2020, 06:57:48 PM
So I see people far smarter than myself suggesting a service for these reels before using. What would that service entail? Are there any areas that need special attention? I've owned this reel for about a month now, cast it a few times but haven't hooked anything yet. Better late than never?

In the years since this was released has anyone figured a solution to the snapping stems? Was wondering if I should just have my buddy weld on some extra aluminum to beef it up. He's really good but i suspect it still wouldn't be the prettiest solution. But that's ok as long as it works.

I've fished the LT100 on the SOA trips since 2014; the two I have are configured as 50lb and 60lb setups; no issues to date.

My suspicion about the snapping stems is based on two possible main culprits:

  • Conventional guys using a heavy spinner for the first time and trying to force crank the LT100 like a conventional.
  • A drop in material quality at the factory for the body casts for a particular production run.

Since the LT100 is still being sold with no known recent reports of stem snaps, it would appear both issues have been "resolved."

At some point in the future, you can evaluate whether swapping out the line roller's 4x8x3 bearings for bushings is a good move.

Shark Hunter

I have several of these reels now,
They can handle A nice 5 footer from the beach any day of the week.
Pre Service and use smart tactics.
The LT100 is a winner. ;D
Life is Good!

MarkT

#100
For a good 50# braid check out the Seaguar Threadlock... it's ABS is way above it's rating. As I recall, the Berkeley Prospec 50# has an ABS of about 75#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

I have 60lb hollow threadlock on a few reels. Good stuff. Casts really well.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

basto

#102
I have no need for 50lbs of drag on my LT100, so I have rearranged the drag stack to give me approx 30 lbs of drag. This can be done by using the stock drag that comes with the reel.
It also does not alter the length of the drag stack.
So my LT100 has what I call a 5 stack now, not a 7 stack.

This is the sequence starting from the bottom of the spool.
Take a pic of the original sequence first, if you want to do this.

2 eared metal
1 carbontex
2 keyed metal
2 carbontex
1 eared metal
1 carbontex
1 keyed metal
2 carbontex
1 eared metal
1 carbontex
1 keyed metal

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Triton Mark 3S    Jigging Master PE5n

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: basto on June 27, 2021, 09:46:21 PM
I have no need for 50lbs of drag on my LT100, so I have rearranged the drag stack to give me approx 30 lbs of drag. This can be done by using the stock drag that comes with the reel.
It also does not alter the length of the drag stack.
So my LT100 has what I call a 5 stack now, not a 7 stack.

This is the sequence starting from the bottom of the spool.
Take a pic of the original sequence first, if you want to do this.

2 eared metal
1 carbontex
2 keyed metal
2 carbontex
1 eared metal
1 carbontex
1 keyed metal
2 carbontex
1 eared metal
1 carbontex
1 keyed metal


What is the purpose of this? I don't use 50# of drag either, but having up to 50# available means it's silky smooth at 25. But topping out at 30# means it's likely a lot less smooth at 25, because you have to crank it down closer to the max drag to get that pressure.

Your heat created at 25# on your setup will also be less distributed than it was on stock setup set to 25# (though likely the same total amount of thermal energy, thus each drag disk is hotter) meaning you'll see the negative effects of the heat generated a lot sooner than stock. I may be wrong about that in the long term if your setup is merely rearranging the stack not removing elements, but it's still fewer active carbon disks so until the heat has time to distribute itself the condition described above is likely accurate during the fight.

I don't mean to say it any way other than constructively, but to the best of my understanding, your mod sounds like a functionality downgrade, and not just a decreased max drag as intended.

Am I misunderstanding something?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

basto

I got the idea from PENN`s Versa drag. You can rearrange their drag like this, so I thought it must be viable and have some integrity.
My sole goal was to lessen the chance of  breaking  any reel stems or handles.
I know I can just use the reel stock and set at no more than 30lbs ,but it is not impossible to get carried away in the heat of battle and crank up more drag than you thought.
Anyway , I will be able to test it in a few days on some reef dwellers and try to detect how hot it is getting.Thanks for your reply.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Triton Mark 3S    Jigging Master PE5n