8600 Striper

Started by Squirmypug, February 11, 2011, 12:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirmypug

Could anyone tell me about the 8600 Striper reel?I have had one for a while and seems like it would cast well, but has very little freespool.Any ideas why the freespool is bad or any comments about the reel would be great, I have already cleaned the spool shaft and bushings.Thanks 8)
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Bryan Young

Not sure of the castability, but it seems like this reel is a collectors item.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Squirmypug

Thanks Bryan, I was thinking the same thing.This reel is in very good conditon.I have used it before and it works great just doesn't seem to cast, but has a very light spool.Maybe I will just sell it, I haven't used it in over a year.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

reddrum55

The 8600 was and still is a prized surf casting reel on the east coast of Virginia and North Carolina.  Yours probably needs the "Tani treatment" to put it back in shape.

Squirmypug

Thats great to hear Reddrum, I cleaned and lubed it last night and couldn't get more freespool.I didn't do anything with the cast controll because I have never had any reels with brakes like that, only mags.Guess I will be pulling it apart again to see if I can free it up a bit. ;D

Bryan Young

I think this is the reel.  http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_12_74-09-00.pdf

I knew we shouldn't have recycled those binders of schematics.

To increase free spool, open and clean bearings, spool shaft, and inside of pinion gear and lube with light lubricant, like TSI301, HotSauce, ReelX,...

You may also want to extremely lightly ream out the pinion gear to have minimal contact with the spool shaft.  Unfortunately, I cannot find the posting on how to do this.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Squirmypug

Thanks again Bryan, I have cleaned all of that and lubed with RRF.It doesn't have bearings, it has bushings that are held in by clips(looks like thick brass washer with pin in one outside edge to keep it from spinning).I also took the small sliding pieces off the brakes in the left side, that didn't seem to help much.Still seems very slow, I'm going to spool it with 30lb mono and give it a spin to see how it does.Also I can't view pdf files  :'( but thanks for the schematics anyway.

Bryan Young

Schematics link modified.  Darn schematics, those bushings look like bearings.

Maybe take out the bushings, measure and see if there are bearing that will match up?

alantani

you should be able to measure out the bushings and find a bearing that fits. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Squirmy:  Go to Adobe Reader and down load their free download to be able to read pdf files.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Here's a converted pic version from Mike's Reel Repair sight.

Squirmypug

Thanks guys  :).I would replace the bushings with bearings but I don't have a way to measure them and I'm not sure the bushing cup would hold them tight enough.Sometime when I get some money I will find out though.I may try a thinner oil if I can find some, the RRF seems too slow with it.I also got the adobe reader so I can view pdf files, after owning this computer for 3 years  ;D Thanks again everyone!

Norcal Pescador

A lot of bearings are measured to the nearest whole millimeter so that would be a starting point. If you have a Harbor Freight store near you, they have a digital caliper that reads in mm and inches for about $20. I use the heck out of mine for reels, rods, and other stuff around the house. Handy as all get-out and super easy to use.
Good luck with the reels!
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Squirmypug

Cool I plan on going to HF tomorrow for a few things anyway, I will look at the calipers while I'm there.

Bryan Young

Another way is you can send Alan the bushings, he can measure it and let you know how much the bearing cost.  You can send him a check and he will send out the bearings and your old bushings.

No measuring needed.