Penn ss ?

Started by Black Widow Tackle, February 11, 2011, 07:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Widow Tackle

Does anyone know the dimension to the seal washer in the handle of the Penn 650ss 750ss and the 850ss?  I am wanting to put a carbon drag washer in there. Will it work? Thanks

Bryan Young

Sorry, I don't, but why did you want to put a carbon washer as a seal washer in the handle?  Personally, I would prefer a silicon base washer to seal out moisture.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Black Widow Tackle

I thought I read somewhere that you wanted to remove that seal and replace it with a carbon one?

Fishead

If im not mistaken,that was a thick felt like washer.I load mine up with grease so water cant get past it.I dont think a carbon fiber would do much to keep the water out.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Black Widow Tackle

So all I need to replace is The thrust washer and the Teflon drag washer with a carbon one?

Bryan Young

Ok, I'm a bit confused.  Are we talking about only the washers in the handle or the spool assembly?  Can you take pics of where you are talking about?

Personally, my Penn SSs handle washers have not been changed.  The only thing that I do with spool washers is grease them.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Black Widow Tackle

I understand Brian:)  I first was talking about the felt washer in the handle and was wondering if I should swap that out for a carbon but everyone says no leave it and grease it heavily.  Then I was talking about the Teflon washer in the drag stack and the Teflon washer under the spool and swap them out for a carbon one?  Thanks

alantani

yup, leave the felt, replace the teflon washer with a drag washer.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Alan, I have about two dozen  6500 ss and 7500ss,( not the ssm) these are the reels that most of us use here in the N.E.
My reels all  have the HT100, but only 2 in each. Are you saying that I should replace the 56-T and the 60-80  teflon washerswith HT100 as well ?  :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

yes, then you will have a full set of greased ht-100's. 

Alto Mare

Very good.  Thanks Alan! ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

nathanbrand

I have a Penn 6500SS that's about twenty years old. Is the drag in this reel upgradable
to the HT-100 washers? Are all the old SS series reels upgradable?

If so, I'm a bit uncertain of the whole procedure. I have the original drag washers. Are you just replacing
the Teflon washers with HT-100s or are you replacing all the washers with HT-100s?

Sorry, I'm new at this. I've never modified a drag before.

Thanks

alantani

no problem, nathan.  i have a box of all the different penn ht-100 washers made.  i just take a washer and match it up.  if i don't find something close enough, i match the inside diameter and thickness and grind down the outside diameter to match.  here is the list of drag washers.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0 and here is a brief description of the grinding process.  it's messy!  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=175.0  the drag washers inside the spool will be an exact fit.  the one underneath may not. 

Bryan Young

Quote from: nathanbrand on March 08, 2011, 01:51:29 AM
I have a Penn 6500SS that's about twenty years old. Is the drag in this reel upgradable
to the HT-100 washers? Are all the old SS series reels upgradable?

If so, I'm a bit uncertain of the whole procedure. I have the original drag washers. Are you just replacing
the Teflon washers with HT-100s or are you replacing all the washers with HT-100s?

Sorry, I'm new at this. I've never modified a drag before.

Thanks
I think it takes three 6-155 HT-100s in the spool.  I'm not sure about the washer under the spool.  I had to fabricate one as indicated in Alan's response above.

Alto Mare

Bryan is right , it will take the 6-155 HT100's. About the washer under  the spool ( the thrust washer) I use the 60-750 HT100,  it works great but you'll need to file it just a little  to be able to slide it on the spool shaft, you could roll up a piece of sand paper it works great. Take care, Sal