100# Rail Set-up: AVET HX / HXW Raptor or AVET EX 30/2?

Started by stoked4fishin, February 29, 2016, 04:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doradoben

In the past, a big reel seemed more important on an 8 or 10  day in November. Every year is different and the water temperature, even off So. Cal. is already warmer than usual.. 

AJ

I have caught YFT up to 200# on my HXW Raptor AND A FRIEND CAUGHT A 300# ON THE Oct. 2014 Spirit OF Adventure trip.  It will handle large tuna.  If this is a one time trip I would get the Raptor BUT if you are looking to become a LONG RANGER ;) I would go with the 30.

MarkT

Quote from: doradoben on March 01, 2016, 05:47:49 AM
In the past, a big reel seemed more important on an 8 or 10  day in November. Every year is different and the water temperature, even off So. Cal. is already warmer than usual.. 
The water off the Southern California coast is pretty much the same as it was this time last year which bodes well for another off the charts summer!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

stoked4fishin

Thanks AJ
The trip I'm going on is the Grady White 8 Day Charter on the SOA in October.  I'm not sure I'll go to the land of the cows, so I think for now I'm going with the Calstar 770XXH and the HX Raptor.  I'll run 100# Seaguar Threadlock with 80# and 100# top shots.

Yeah Mark, should be another incredible year!

Keta

I caught my first 2 cow YFT on an October 10 day and an 87lb wahoo.

87# wahoo

Supper cow caught the same trip, not by me.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

jeff, i have everything you need.  don't buy anything just yet.  swing by tomorrow and we'll talk. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

stoked4fishin

Keta

Here's part of the catch on my first LR trip, an October 10 day.  The ones tied to the rail are cows with 2 super cows.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

doradoben

Yes Mark, I'm looking forward to another great summer and fall like last year.

Tightlines667

Great picture there Lee.  I love it when you are knee deep in good fish.  I am sure that was a memorable one.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.