Bamboo Ocean Rod Update

Started by Steve-O, February 03, 2011, 03:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Got 'er done! Took some more anti-blindness meds and finished re-working the old Japanese bamboo Welcome Rod. Don't believe I'll be doing any more hexagonal rods in the near or distant future. Winding the wraps was ...thunk-thunk-thunk......thunk-thunk-thunk...thunk-thunk-thunk....in the rod cradle. I will build some round blank rods though and before my AK trip in June.

Anyway on to the pics.

The underwrap. Red with twin yellow bands.

The guide wrap. Double wrapped for strength in yellow.

A quick shot with the 501 attached before epoxying the guides.

Some shots this AM after epoxying and drying overnight. Pardon the rush photogging. It was 630AM after a short restless night.

My take? well....it's done. I'm going to fish it at least once. Personally, I believe the understated, minimalist, original Japanese crafting of the rod got lost in it's transformation via my unskilled efforts into somewhat of a scary yellow and red pimped up late night geisha. :o :o :o

I suppose after I get off work today and look at it some more it may grow on me.k It looked way better without the epoxy and it's resultant glossy bling factor. I think now a couple of coats of varnish would have suited it better in the looks department. But I wanted very secure guides and no issues while fishing.

Steve-O

Norcal Pescador

QuoteMy take? well....it's done. I'm going to fish it at least once. Personally, I believe the understated, minimalist, original Japanese crafting of the rod got lost in it's transformation via my unskilled efforts into somewhat of a scary yellow and red pimped up late night geisha.  :o :o :o

I suppose after I get off work today and look at it some more it may grow on me.k It looked way better without the epoxy and it's resultant glossy bling factor. I think now a couple of coats of varnish would have suited it better in the looks department. But I wanted very secure guides and no issues while fishing.

Steve-O

Very nice wraps Steve-O. Hey, it's your rod, isn't it? It's like Burger King; you can have it your way and there are only 3,525 [at the time this was written] other opinions on this forum on how good, bad, awesome, gross, innovative, unique, cool, hot, and personalized it looks!  ;D ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

kamuwela

Bryan Young

Awesome Steve-O. 

I hate hex rods as well, so you are not the only one.  The thread doesn't seem to lay correctly and it seems it messes with the tension all of time.  But, there is supposed to be a new hex graphite rod that I'm interested in looking at.  Supposted to be lighter and stronger.  Man, I wish I studied physics more.

Great job.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fishead

Came out nice,remember,even if you may not care for how it looks,the fish have no idea what it looks like.If you do wrap another hex rod,try taking a 1" piece of foam grip material & jam it (no glue)down the blank where no wraps will be,then wrap some tape the opposite direction your wrapping motor spins around the foam.no more thump thump thump.then slice it off with a razor blade before you coat it.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!