Troubleshooting 500jig with SS gears

Started by Sharkin904, March 02, 2016, 03:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkin904

Well, I've had this reel apart for quite some time, so the problem may be myself...but, picked up a set of 5:1 pro challenger gears used, they are in great shape, so I highly doubt it's them..but I assembled it and the handle is hard to turn and usually doesn't turn the spool. I used the spacing sleeve that came with them, any ideas on where to start?

Keta

Is the gear set mismatched?  Pinion gear in backwards?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Sharkin904

I'll post some when I get home. On lunch break now lol

Could be, I didn't do a dry run. Regret that lol

broschro

I think i have asked you this before. Are you in Saint Augustine? maybe we could get together for some fishing and reel maintenance. i live in Heritage park right now but will be off of wildwood drive soon 
hit me up.       

Jamie

Sharkin904

Quote from: broschro on March 02, 2016, 05:03:22 PM
I think i have asked you this before. Are you in Saint Augustine? maybe we could get together for some fishing and reel maintenance. i live in Heritage park right now but will be off of wildwood drive soon 
hit me up.       

Jamie

I am! I work at Ray's Collision on wildwood, live in the shores. We'll deff have to get together

PacRat

Check to make sure your main gear and drag-stack aren't too tall. Sometimes your under-gear washer can be too thick or you have too many or too thick washers in your drag-stack. This will cause your main to bind up on your sideplate. Also make certain your eared washers aren't  moving out of place when you assemble.

What sideplates do you have? The new Cortez Conversion plates are a bit tight with the Pro Challenger spacing sleeve. Check the spacing sleeve to make sure it's not tight in your sideplate. You can swap your stock spacer back in to see if that's the culprit.

Good luck
Mike

handi2

Quote from: PacRat on March 02, 2016, 11:54:04 PM
Check to make sure your main gear and drag-stack aren't too tall. Sometimes your under-gear washer can be too thick or you have too many or too thick washers in your drag-stack. This will cause your main to bind up on your sideplate. Also make certain your eared washers aren't  moving out of place when you assemble.

What sideplates do you have? The new Cortez Conversion plates are a bit tight with the Pro Challenger spacing sleeve. Check the spacing sleeve to make sure it's not tight in your sideplate. You can swap your stock spacer back in to see if that's the culprit.

Good luck
Mike

Do what Mike said and if it's binding a little tighten the drag and see if it gets better. That's a good start.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Sharkin904

All totally "stock" added the gears and a metal spool. I have the 3 carbon washers and 3 metal ones, but I kept the "spring" washer, the curvy one. According to the schematics it goes under the spacer, is that right?

PacRat

Try putting the spring washer between the spacer and drag star.
Mike

Alto Mare

May I ask where you got the used 5:1 pro challenger gear set from? It's odd to find a used set of those already, they're fairly new, but anything is possible.
Pro challenger offers two types of main gears for the 5:1 ratio, one is deeper that the other, requiring some additional washers to keep the star from bottoming out.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Sharkin904

From a guy on a Facebook group I'm on. Judging by his knowledge, he might even be on here. Taking some pics now

Sharkin904

I feel like I can rule out the gears, just inspected the teeth, no problems, tested them by themselves and the spin perfectly easy.

I tried the spring washer between the spacer and star drag but the spacer is too short. It did Coke with two spacers though, and I don't remember which is which. I'm stumped.

cbar45

A long shot, but is it possible the Pro Challenger gears are those meant for a 505 Jigmaster and not a 500?

Chad

handi2

Does the main gear have a raised lip? If so its the wrong one.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL