How can we make ordering custom parts easier for newbies?

Started by steelhead_killer, March 04, 2016, 01:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

I am new to the site compared to most here.  I jumped in with both feet and invested a ton of time reading and learning.  I pestered members and asked silly questions.  After reviewing them I have determined that most of my time was trying to figure out what custom parts worked on what reel etc...  So it dawned on me that we could make this easier for newbies by categorizing custom parts by what they are and are not.  Example: 

Penn 500 series reels:

Handles, knobs, drags, gear sleeves, bridges, dogs, frames, parts and tutorials.   Under each would be links to manufacture or reseller and the tutorial on the reel model

thoughts?

Andy

><)))">

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Great idea, Andy --

Should be easy enough to set up a separate section for custom parts makers.

We are so fortunate to have these folks as part of our site.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Those guys already have their own section. Tom, Alan C, Bryan, Randy, Adam, Alan T, etc

Andy, you learned fast and built several eye popping reels :o :o. The path took you farther in touch with the AT community and if a newcomer finds one stop shopping, then they may skip the fun part of meeting the great AT community and asking lotsa rookie  ;D  questions !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

steelhead_killer

oh the side benefit would be increased sales for the manufactures and resellers...
><)))">

Marcq

Quote from: steelhead_killer on March 04, 2016, 01:04:34 AM
     I am new to the site compared to most here.  I jumped in with both feet and invested a ton of time reading and learning.  I pestered members and asked silly questions.  After reviewing them I have determined that most of my time was trying to figure out what custom parts worked on what reel etc...  So it dawned on me that we could make this easier for newbies by categorizing custom parts by what they are and are not.  Example: 

Penn 500 series reels:

Handles, knobs, drags, gear sleeves, bridges, dogs, frames, parts and tutorials.   Under each would be links to manufacture or reseller and the tutorial on the reel model

thoughts?

Andy

Very good idea Andy, there's so many different upgrades now, like, just handle arms I think there 4 different people making/selling them, it gets confusing

Marc..

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

steelhead_killer

Im just saying that I think that this site and the contents can be intimidating to rookies with thin skin.  I have been in sales my whole life so I have very thick skin, most don't.  I don't mind asking dumb questions, most do mind.  I bet it would lead to more questions from the lurkers and timid.  Hell I had to make a spreadsheet just to keep things straight on where to get what!  And it still changes!
><)))">

anglingarchitect

You should share your spread sheet, it is a good idea. It is a bit confusing at first and intimidating,  you come in not knowing much about reels, reel maintenance, fishing, etc. and this site is full of machinist and tuning wizards, and world wide expert fishermen.

BMITCH

In reality...this is a great idea. My problem would be that then I would KNOW what I'm missing. My bank acct's may not like that😆😆 but some kind of spread sheet would cut down on the learning curve. I couldn't imagine coming into this site, getting hooked, and laying out all the cash that would be needed to upgrade/bling out my reels now. It's kinda like when you know they're catching fish and your at home with the honey-do list. The angst would kill me!!!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Reel 224

Quote from: steelhead_killer on March 04, 2016, 03:03:29 AM
Im just saying that I think that this site and the contents can be intimidating to rookies with thin skin.  I have been in sales my whole life so I have very thick skin, most don't.  I don't mind asking dumb questions, most do mind.  I bet it would lead to more questions from the lurkers and timid.  Hell I had to make a spreadsheet just to keep things straight on where to get what!  And it still changes!

Excellent idea Andy, It's sometimes frustrating looking up the rite people for custom parts I agree. The spread sheet is a good idea, something that could be printed out perhaps. As far as dumb question go however IMO that's part of the learning process.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Max Doubt on March 04, 2016, 01:53:02 AM
Those guys already have their own section. Tom, Alan C, Bryan, Randy, Adam, Alan T, etc

Andy, you learned fast and built several eye popping reels :o :o. The path took you farther in touch with the AT community and if a newcomer finds one stop shopping, then they may skip the fun part of meeting the great AT community and asking lotsa rookie  ;D  questions !!

Ted
Sounds like a very sensible idea, but I don't see how it can be done.
Every part you need takes a PM, Post or visit to their site to the individual who makes it.
Unless you can get someone else to do the legwork for you, I don't see a way around it.
I get lots of questions from newbies on where to get a certain part. I point them in the right direction.
Like Ted said,
All of our fabricators have their on spot in the for sale section.
Maybe, if we can put exactly what each person makes under their name, it would simplify things.
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Quote from: BMITCH on March 04, 2016, 02:45:23 AM
Great idea!!! But you gotta earn it...lol

X2

Quote from: Max Doubt on March 04, 2016, 01:53:02 AM
...if a newcomer finds one stop shopping, then they may skip the fun part of meeting the great AT community and asking lotsa rookie  ;D  questions !!

I always enjoy the "what's a Penn 99" discussion  ;D

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Andy had a good idea -- maybe just a link to an Excel Spreadsheet at the top of the for sale section.

Can be changed from time time to time by the sellers and fabricators who already have access privileges.

Just keep it simple for where to go -- then let the sellers take it from there.

Just my opinion -- and that is always subject to change against a better convincing argument!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.