Advice on new reel purchase????

Started by ALASKAFISHMAN, March 05, 2016, 02:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALASKAFISHMAN

I need to purchase a reel for a Trevala XXH TVC-58.  What reels would you recommend and why?  I be for jigging Halibut mainly.  I like the JX Raptor but they are a little more money that I wanted to spend.  It would have to be a left hand reel.  What would be your top picks, going by price range.  Under $200,  $200-$300, $300-$400.  I have two other Trevala rods a heavy and medium.  In a pinch, I want to be able to through the "new" reel, on the lighter rods, in a pinch.  ie reel failure on the lighter rods. 

Thanks
Brent
Fish and hunt, Fish and hunt, eat, sleep fish and hunt, fish and hunt

alantani

take a look at the new penn fathoms. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on March 05, 2016, 03:26:35 PM
take a look at the new penn fathoms. 

Are they making them in LH?  I hope so.

Shimano is making the Torium in LH now but still 6.2:1.  A Torium TOR16HGAL or TOR20HGAL would work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ALASKAFISHMAN

I took a look at the fathoms, but did not see a left hand option.  My preference for a lefty has limited my options.

ALASKAFISHMAN

Keta

At first glance at the TOR20HGAL has everything I was looking for in, drag and line capacity.  I will give this one a closer look, but it is in the pool to choose from.  Thanks for the heads up on it.

Brent

Keta

Quote from: ALASKAFISHMAN on March 05, 2016, 03:51:50 PM
My preference for a lefty has limited my options.

Yup.  When my broken left hand did not heal right I lost the ability to hold my rods and jig so I started looking for a LH reel, I guess having a airbag smack the prebroken hand against the window and going on a 5 day LR trip with a rebroken hand wasn't a good idea.  

It looks like Shimano might be exporting some of their "Japan only" high end reels, some in LH.  I am selling off some reels to come up with the $ for a LH OCEA JIGGER 2001NR-PG, but the $400-$500 price is more than you want to spend.  The LH Torium TOR16HGAL or TOR20HGAL will be closer to $200.  I hope Penn does come out with LH Fathoms.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I do have to admit, seeing you reel in those fish with a busted up hand was an amazing demonstration of tenacity. Sorry to hear it didn't heal up correctly. Does that mean all your 349s are on a shelf? I hope not.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"