1960's newell ?

Started by mark d, March 06, 2016, 04:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark d

vilters

http://newellreels.blogspot.com/2011/06/newell-reel-history.html

this reel is a kit with jigmaster internals, basically a newelled jigmaster with spool bearings. the sideplates were made @ the newell factory. next phase was production of their own reels (blackie series). nice reels, I've got one I'm ready to update with all the cool stuff the guys sell here at a/t  8)

mark d

thks for the explanation vilters

mark

thinkwahoo

Vilters is correct this was made by Newell in late 70's, and was designated, 300 C that used Penn Jigmaster guts, and used ball bearings in the side plates instead of bushings.

Newell's first complete reel was the Blackies that came out in 1979.

mark d

yep thats what they called it, 300-c.  sounds kinda cool but i promised myself no reels this year. made it to march. wish me luck

Yogi_fish808

Yep as you found out, it's a 300-C. They're great reels and the upgrades are limitless since they use jigmaster parts, except the spool. You'll need newell spools for these. That's a pretty optimistic price being asked by that seller though. Both mine were stock in great shape and cost between $80-120ish. One thing that I really like about this reel is the freespool and casting performance, nothing short of amazing once you do the recommended service/tuning.

MarkT

Yeah, well, I know plenty of folks who say no new gear this year and only make it to the 2nd week of January before falling off the wagon and having it run them over.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mark d

yogi, beautiful reel

mark t, yeah i'm proud of myself. wish me luck