Need help please! 9/0 build

Started by Sharkin904, March 06, 2016, 09:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkin904

http://vid112.photobucket.com/albums/n186/ExSohc/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.19007495-9ADF-4CA0-841D-657B05FBCF48_zps4kgh9uv3.mp4

Freespool lever won't really move unless I push in the pinion gear. I've tried loosening the screws, putting some lube on he eccentric jack, no luck. It has prochallenger gears. My second reel in a row I can't get to work with them. What am I doing wrong?? Hopefully the video works.

cbar45

That seems to be a normal occurence for some reels.

It's only a problem if it does it while fully assembed.

The spool shaft seating fully in the pinion (when assembled) is what allows it to go into freespool.

Have you tried testing it with all the parts put together?

Chad

RowdyW

Also is the yoke in rounded side toward the eccentric jack ramps?

Sharkin904

I think the problem is the Eccentric jack needed to be sanded some. I had a stainless steel yoke, and you can see were it was grinding on it

Bryan Young

You may need to file a ramp in the yoke where it contacts the eccentric for a smoother shift. I sometimes have to do this to brass yokes too.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

cbar45

Some of my reels with Lee-Pro/Accurate side plates would do the same thing.

I never bothered to sand anything on them because they would shift very smoothly once assembled.

Sanding/filing of the yoke and eccentric jack may be needed if the assembled reel still doesn't shift smooth.

Chad

Alto Mare

Don't do any sanding to stock parts just yet, you need to start with the custom pinion first, actually you should always start there with any reels.
Pro Challenger's pinions have a tight tolerance...not a bad thing. Unfortunately not all spool shafts are the same.
Try sliding the pinion on the spool shaft with very little force and make sure that it sits all the way in. If you do need to push it in place, get a file and hit the notch on the pinion a couple of times, it doesn't take much. That should cure your problem.
Just in case that doesn't help, you will then move to other parts as mentioned above.

On these reels it is usually the pinion or the tabs on the jack, I like to round those off a bit at the very tip.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Sharkin904

Ended up being the jack. Took a very fine file to it, didn't take much to get it to shift properly. Thanks for the help guys! This one was definitely one of the most difficult builds I've done. Granted, ive only done a few though. Thanks again!

mikeysm

I polished all my parts including the yoke. Greased everything up and assembled. My problem went away. The reel needs time to break in.

Mike