Trevala Rod for 25-30 #

Started by Keta, March 12, 2016, 03:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I am looking for a rod to put a Shimano OCEA Calcutta 300HG reel on and want a Trevala, my problem is no one close stocks them to "feel".  Any suggestions for a rod (Trevala only) for fishing iron?  I will be using it for albacore and a light YT rig for the June LR trip.

Any suggestions on a 6'6" blank if I decide to build another "club" for this?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mike1010

Trevalas are great bang for the buck.  I use a TVC66MH for fishing 20 to 30 lb mono (7-8 lbs of drag at strike).  It could handle more.  It is comfortable and light, and good for throwing metal for bluefish and stripers, among other things.

Mike

Keta

The reel is capable of a bit over 13# (6kg) of drag but line capacity is small.  I somehow got my hands on a JDM Shimano OCEA Calcutta..... ;D

http://www.shimano.com/content/eu/en/Home/products0/jdm/jdm-reels/ocea-calcutta.html

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Big Tim

RowdyW

I bought a Tsunami jigging rod from them that was supposed to have silicon carbide inserts. Guess what ...false advertising. They were aluminum oxide as are most Tsunami rods.     Rudy

Big Tim

Quote from: RowdyW on March 12, 2016, 10:59:25 PM
I bought a Tsunami jigging rod from them that was supposed to have silicon carbide inserts. Guess what ...false advertising. They were aluminum oxide as are most Tsunami rods.     Rudy

I'm looking at my Airwave elite rod right now and it has Fuji Alconite K series guides, now both my Trophy rods have aluminum oxide guides, per the advertising tag that came off them. I don't have a dog in the fight but no false advertising on my rods.

Tim

RowdyW

Tim the site said silicon carbide & the tag on the rod said aluminum oxide. Tsunami was right, seller was wrong.

Keta

Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: RowdyW on March 12, 2016, 11:38:06 PM
Tim the site said silicon carbide & the tag on the rod said aluminum oxide. Tsunami was right, seller was wrong.

That make a lot more sense. They do have a primitive website.

Tim

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on March 12, 2016, 11:42:46 PM
Got a 7'  TVC-70ML Trevala.

You will be happy with that rod Lee.

BT

Keta

I like my old 6'9" ML Trevala, I took off the Trinidad 12 and put the new reel on it and it balances nice.  Now I need to learn to use a backwards reel.... :(

Hopefully the line capacity will be enough for Ceadros Island YT, it should be fine for albacore.  I filled it with 40# spectra this morning.

Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on March 13, 2016, 12:28:56 AM
I like my old 6'9" ML Trevala, I took off the Trinidad 12 and put the new reel on it and it balances nice.  Now I need to learn to use a backwards reel.... :(

Hopefully the line capacity will be enough for Ceadros Island YT, it should be fine for albacore.  I filled it with 40# spectra this morning.

I looked at the specs of your reel? Nice reel man  ;D I think you will be OK? I have a couple of lighter rigs that I have the same concern for. Plenty of drag but not the line capacity &  some of these skinny rods just make me wonder. I'm over powered for what I fish for regularly but when it comes to bigger fishes ? We will find out in June my friend.

BT

Keta

I WILL have backup 25# and 30# rigs.  I fished 25# most of the time last time because I loaned my heavier rigs to Jimmer.

Mark Twain

Keta

The Ceadros YT were a blast on 25#.

Mark Twain

Big Tim

Quote from: Keta on March 13, 2016, 01:41:20 AM
The Ceadros YT were a blast on 25#.

I too will have a couple of heavier set ups, but for the most part I'm goin' light this year. Heck Warren was catching on old Newell gear. Let's do this my friend. I'm going to catch at least 1 YT on my Penn Fathom 15sd and Tsunami 6.6 Trophy rod.

BT