First attempt at thread wrapping

Started by Tightlines667, March 15, 2016, 12:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Well, I got my rod wrapping equipment set up (a CPW, with Alps chuck upgrade and converted 2 to 3 thread carrier, an Alps finishing/drying motor, and all the tools (work sharp grinder, bubble buster, alcohol lamp, butane torch, pic/spatula set, brushes, pac bay mixer, cups, stirring rods, tongue depressers, tinfoil cups, burnishing tools, exacto, razors, scissors, u-40 rod bomd, u-40 permagloss, flex coat color preserver, flexcoat high build epoxy, wax heating pad, butt wrap jig, china markers, permanent markers, sanding block with sanding paper, and lots of threads, and ribbons).  I have my first set (of 5) rod builds (Rainshadow Stub 80 blanks, Silver AFTCO Big foot guides, Silver ALPs straight UB4 butts&ferrules, short/10" tapered Eva forgrips, small ring-style rubber winding checks, and purple microelectronics abalone laminate).

I have read a few books, many forum threads, and watched a bunch of videos.  Now I am just starting to try my hand at a few practice wraps on wood dowels.  My first evening was spent on trying some inlays, tjread transitions, fades, and a tiger wrap.  Didn'the really get the tiger effect I was lookimg for, but I think this was largely due to not ensuring all wraps were laid down with even presdure, and no twisting or overlapping of the 3 threads (with one another, or on their neighbors).  I did convince myself that red and blue make purple.  I also have a new respect for producing quality fades, and also the importance of tight wraps when finishing off tag ends.  I also learned that metallic thread is definitely more difficult to work with, and that attention must be paid when transitioning from light to dark colored thread. 

I plan to just take my time practicing before I jump into my first builds, but I can already see the appeal of producing custom rods, and look forward to developing my skillset.  Good thing working on reels has taught me patience, because I can see it is very necessary here.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reel 224

You absolutely are doing the rite thing by practicing different wrapping stiles like I used this old blank to practice on.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

You guys are really good, and coming along -- I am envious -- and admire your skills.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cbar45

Nice start John, it looks like all the time spent researching and materials-gathering has already paid off.

Savor the moment before thread starts spinning and that new rod lathe becomes covered in epoxy-drips; it's the calm before the storm.. ;)

Chad

thorhammer

You have a very nice set of mechanicals for first builds; highly recco you strip an old rod or two down to handle , spray it and do build out there to get some practice laying down epoxy before you get on that nice stuff. Doubtless you or friends have some broken sticks to serve as guide donors and you will very well end up with a resurrected usable rod from your practice. Believe me IMO all the great threadwork is for naught if you jack up the finish.  Back to square one.

John

400yfinn

Did you finish your rods? I'm looking at building some rods using STUB80 blank and was wondering how you feel about them.

Tightlines667

Sorry to say, not yet.  Been too busy servicing reels.  Guess I am in no big rush though.  I have fished these Stub80s on other'sites boats before though, and liked them. 
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Well, to followup here...

Ever since I bought a boat, been too busy to try wrapping my first set of rods.  I did a partial rewrap, and new finish job on a used set of IGFA 80class Tuna Sticks.

I found a local wrapper to build 2 of my Rainshadow Stub80 rods with the components, shell, decales, and thread I had.  I had him layout the build, and guide spacing based on the one I had intended.  He just sent me pics.  They look pretty darn good to me :)
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

John

I return May 2 and will be happy to show you some tricks on the lathe one day.

Dwight

Tightlines667

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 27, 2017, 03:10:34 PM
John

I return May 2 and will be happy to show you some tricks on the lathe one day.

Dwight

I appreciate the offer.  Maybe we can find the time to try to wrap a rod or 2 when you are here?

John
Hope springs eternal

Bryan Young

Hose rods came out nice. Who was the wrapper?

One thing that takes time is finding the right tension on the thread.  Too tight you will limit the blank and the rod could break right at that point. Too loose, then the thread will not pack correctly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

droppedit

They say you get better the more you wrap. If that's the case then soon you will go to the top of the class. Outstanding job for the 1st attempt!

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 27, 2017, 04:20:25 PM
Hose rods came out nice. Who was the wrapper?

One thing that takes time is finding the right tension on the thread.  Too tight you will limit the blank and the rod could break right at that point. Too loose, then the thread will not pack correctly.

Brian,

A kid that goes by the name "Zen".  He has been wrapping for severel years and has been doing alot of stubbies lately.

Quote from: droppedit on March 27, 2017, 05:44:54 PM
They say you get better the more you wrap. If that's the case then soon you will go to the top of the class. Outstanding job for the 1st attempt!

Dave

Dave,
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?), I did not wrap these 2.  I load-tested, and determined the guide placement, spined them, installed the forgrips and winding checks, and designed tye thread and abalone layout.  I had a local rod wrapper finish them for me.

I csn only hope my first set will turn out thus nicely.

John
Hope springs eternal