phenix rod Axis HAX-802h not happy with the quality of factory build job

Started by steelfish, March 24, 2017, 01:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well,

I bought this rod from a local American friend that only used it 3 -5 times on a 5 day trip, before spending the coins on this rod I searched for any failure or deep scratch and couldnt found anythings, the rod was practically new.

I took it this last weekend to fish two days and on the second day I felt a scratch on bottom part the 1st guide, dang!! they are Sic Nitride guides, supposedly un-scratchable......I was using daiwa J-braid 80# 8 strand line which is pretty smooth and soft, so though to myself, calm down "it might be a scratch from some hook from other rod on the panga" or I missed when I checked the rod before buying it.
**** need some help here, if you look close to the zone where the scratch is, it appears to be an excess of epoxy on the ceramic ring and looks like if that epoxy residue is the one with the scratch, what do you guys recommend me to do to be able to check if that is epoxy or the actual Sic ring scratched before taking the guide out from the rod  ***********

I was using a "Scotty" rod butt cushion thingy instead of a rod belt this time, well when I took it out from the rod to put the rod on a boat rod holder, the buttcap of the rod got stuck inside the Scotty cushion cup   :'( :'( :'(

that makes it two fails in the same trip, this is a $250 - $300 rod, I was expecting at least a bit more of Epoxy glue on the buttcap

well.. Rant over

this will be the excuse to uninstall the striper guide.........and the rest of the guides and make it acid wrapped, I was hoping to use the rod for the entire season and next winter do the acid wrap job, or maybe I would just install the new guide and let the acid wrap for later

The Baja Guy

PacRat

I hate to judge from a photo but I think you're correct about that being excess epoxy. Give it a little scrape with a sharp knife and see what you think.
Mike

MarkT

I see a little epoxy on guides all the time. I scratch it off with a knife. Looks like the butt cap wasn't installed properly. Try Using your improving rod building skills to glue it back on.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on March 24, 2017, 03:05:39 AM
....Try Using your improving rod building skills to glue it back on.

Thanks Mark, I Actually with my little knowleage on R.Building can see many "shortcuts" and small mistakes on the factory build rods.
I have some strong glues for put that buttcap back in Rod again
Tomorrow I Will put a llittle heat from the alcohol torch to warm What it looks like epoxic (hopefully)  that way it Will be removed easily without scratching the ring
The Baja Guy

droppedit

I'd go easy with the heat. Too much and you might mess up the finish on the threads. I'd just use a knife to remove the epoxy on the ring with no heat. I use scalpel blades and there is no way they will hurt the ring. If it is a scratch, go for changing the guide. It might be a pain but it is better than losing a big fish. The rod was probably made on a Monday ;)
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

steelfish

Quote from: droppedit on March 24, 2017, 02:52:03 PM
I'd go easy with the heat. Too much and you might mess up the finish on the threads. I'd just use a knife to remove the epoxy on the ring with no heat. I use scalpel blades and there is no way they will hurt the ring. If it is a scratch, go for changing the guide. It might be a pain but it is better than losing a big fish. The rod was probably made on a Monday ;)

thanks buddy, I was too tired yesterday to try to fix this thing, I actually have one scalpel that I can use

The Baja Guy

MarkT

I just use a pocket knife to scrape it off.  You're not going to hurt the guide doing that.  It often just pops off.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

thanks Mark, checking the picture with lots zoom it appears that it will be epoxy residue, I didnt knew until trying to posting the pics here

I will update the thread as soon as I find out
The Baja Guy

steelfish

well, for my good luck it was just some epoxy residue on the Sic ring of the guide ....ufff
that saved me from taking the guide off and install a new one, I have too much work right now to have one of my rods on the shelf for many weeks.

Rod is in working condition right now, the epoxy was just scraped off with a sharp exacto knife (no heat required) and the buttcap was put on the rod again using some shoegoo, I was planning to use 5-min epoxy but read somewhere that it cures too hard and its better to have some kind of flexibility, shoegoo glue is pretty strong too, anyway if it gets lose again I will use some 5-min epoxy

thanks guys

in the picture you will see the epoxy residue taken off and the mark left on it by the braid line, the Sic ring on the guide is now smooth as it can be

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Good job Alex.  It looks like you know your stuff.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on March 27, 2017, 07:07:26 PM
Good job Alex.  It looks like you know your stuff.  Dominick

thanks Dom, most of that stuff I learned it here.
The Baja Guy