Penn fathom 15

Started by jackjock, March 15, 2016, 06:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackjock

A friend of mine as just been given a bran new Fathom 15 reel . How do you know when the brake blocks are engaged and how do you disengage them. Apologise if this seems a daft question.

MarkT

If it doesn't work just google "Penn fathom brake blocks".  It's the first thing that comes up.

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/technical/fathom/fathomSD_brake_diagram.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
(and fixed the link which was broken ~MizMo)
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

johndtuttle

Quote from: jackjock on March 15, 2016, 06:32:21 PM
A friend of mine as just been given a bran new Fathom 15 reel . How do you know when the brake blocks are engaged and how do you disengage them. Apologise if this seems a daft question.

They are inside the left side plate on the spool. They are clicked on or off, as many as needed for a given set of conditions for the individual user.

Guys that use them for casting a particular weight (ie surface iron or 8oz bait and weight) figure out a setting they like (number of brakes clicked on) and leave it set up like that mostly.

Big Tim

This may help...I have 3 fathoms and didn't know this as well.

BT

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/technical/fathom/fathomSD_brake_diagram.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Bryan Young

I didn't realize they had break blocks.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cor

I have two of them reels, no brake blocks.......LOL I removed them.
Cornelis

sdlehr

When you are engaging the centrifugal brakes do so symmetrically - opposite one another or spaced evenly around the spool - for better performance. My low profile bass baitcasters use these and they work well for me.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector