Newell 300 Series Aluminum Side Plates - SOLD OUT

Started by Bryan Young, March 16, 2016, 08:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Well, the time has come.

I've been working with Cortez Conversion to come up with aluminum side plates for Newell reels.  I'm hoping that you can take some of those reels that are in a box because of a broken side plate to become usable again.  I'm starting with the 300 series as this has been the Newell's largest selling size of reels, and will likely have the greatest amount of broken side plates (laws of probability).

So here's photos of the prototypes with Newell Crossbars and with a Tiburon Frame.

One of my goals is that the side plates need to be stronger than the composite Newell side plates while being close to the same weight.  Cortez Conversions came through.  As I do not have the exact numbers yet, the reels do not feel heavy at all (I will update this information as soon as I can take apart the reels for weight comparison).  With the removal of the upper cross bars in the design, we were able to cut down the side plate, reducing the amount of material in the side plates resulting in a very light side plate.

The side plate kits are offered at $125 shipped within the USA.

The kit will be available in 2 colors, polished and anodized silver and black.  If custom colors are requested, I will need a minimum order of 10 and will likely cost $10 more.

The kit will include:
    Two adjustable bearing cups with Viton O-rings.
    Two ABEC-5 bearings pre-lubed with TSI-301
    Clicker spring, dog, and clicker button.
    New Stainless Steel mounting hardware for the frame and bridge.

If you would like to reserve your set, please let me know what color and how many sets you are interested in purchasing.  

If you would like a special color (Tiburon's red, green, or ice blue), please indicate the special color, and default color (silver or black) in the event that the minimum special color order is not reached.

Thank you,
Bryan

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Those look very nice, I'm not surprised.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

PacRat

I'm in for two (2). One black and one silver.
Mike

Doso2222

Wow very nice! I'm in for two anodized silvers. Thank you

Do

steelhead_killer

1 black 1 green
><)))">

bigggfish

RUSTY OLD COLT

captbobv

I'm good for one silver anno. Please let me know what's needed from me, when & how. Thanks, BV

Oahupoundah79

Hey brain I'll take two one anodize and one polish 2 Newell side plate kits please mahalo

Bryan Young

Quote from: Oahupoundah79 on March 17, 2016, 02:39:07 AM
Hey brain I'll take two one anodize and one polish 2 Newell side plate kits please mahalo
they are both polished then anodized in black or silver. Sorry for the confusion.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Bryan

Put me down for 2 set of Black. For now anyway

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Tightlines667

I think these would be a big hit here in Hawaii with the slide bait crowd, if offered in 500 size.  Those plates look beautiful.  Any idea on exactly what the weight difference will be on a finished reel?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 17, 2016, 05:24:57 AM
I think these would be a big hit here in Hawaii with the slide bait crowd, if offered in 500 size.  Those plates look beautiful.  Any idea on exactly what the weight difference will be on a finished reel?
Not yet.  I've been busy with work and family.  I hope to have the weight difference between the side plates by this weekend.

Quote from: Reel 224 on March 17, 2016, 02:19:05 PM
Well Bryan I'm in waste deep! ;D I already have the Tib frame.

Joe
Good going Joe.  Better than drowning.

steelhead_killer

Just got this NIB 338 that will be a good candidate for the side plates! Plus some new drags from Bryan and whamo we are fishing'
><)))">