Penn 149 Handle

Started by birdfin, March 17, 2016, 03:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdfin

I picked this reel up cheaply for obvious reasons.  Before replacing the handle, I was wondering if there were parts available to repair it?  I would prefer to keep the repair in keeping with the classic Penn handle

whalebreath

Those are cheap on Ebay-buy a decent one and keep it for a parts reel.

Superhook

Birdfin,

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17262.msg181268#msg181268

When Fred Oakes comes back in a few days you could try Fred. He fixes reels for a living and has many spare parts.

Ray

Shark Hunter

You could always just put a custom knob on the Handle you have and be done.
The Eva Knobs are the latest craze.

Life is Good!

birdfin

Whale breath is fitting, that was ruder than I expected  from this board.  I don't know if I'll be back

RowdyW

birdfin, the man was just stating his opinion. If you don't like his opinion just ignore it. There is no sense getting your feathers ruffled. :D Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think that you took it the wrong way.      Rudy

Shark Hunter

I think he was just saying get a new handle and keep the old one for a parts reel.
That reel is in great shape.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Birdfin, this forum is the best, most supportive out there. There are something over 5000 members from all over, so occasionally a debate or whatever arises because you can't get context from a typed message well. It's all good...pm me your address and I'll send you a handle N/C that looks the one on my 149.

Thor

oc1

I've never seen a 149 in person but remember them from the catalogs back in the day.  Weren't they for trolling with wire line; hence the narrow and deep spool?  Yours has a nice tail plate with the party boats.  I have never noticed "on" and "off' embossed on the tail plate by the clicker either.  There is probably a part number stamped on the underside of the handle.
-steve

cbar45

You would have to source a new (un-peened) handle shaft, and peen it to the handle blank.

They are quite hard to find, so perhaps a new Penn handle, or one of the aftermarket knobs mentioned above might be more in order.

However, the knob portion is pressed on and easily removed by gently heating the shaft, (don't overdo it).

To replace, just soak the knob in hot water and press it back onto a shaft that has been left in the freezer a few hours.

Chad

handi2

I have some that will work if needed.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sdlehr

Quote from: whalebreath on March 18, 2016, 03:02:29 AM
Those are cheap on Ebay-buy a decent one and keep it for a parts reel.
Quote from: birdfin on March 18, 2016, 04:28:36 PM
Whale breath is fitting, that was ruder than I expected  from this board.  I don't know if I'll be back
Sorry, I don't find this comment to be rude either. The suggestion was to buy one on Ebay and use it for spare parts. You can get one for around $45 most of the time. I have a hard time figuring how that could be offensive.....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

No, nothing rude about Whalebreath's comment, he was actually trying to be helpful.
Come on back, we're all friends here.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Speaking from experience this site is the best site out there and like Rudy has said you could just ignore a person if you don't like there comments, if you just leave and don't give the majority off people that really are knowledgeable and helpful then you loose out.

If you want to see rude then try a few gun smith sites! ;D ;D

Joe     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

birdfin

Everyone,

Thanks for all of your input and insight.  I will find a replacement handle or look into a custom knob.  My next project is a levelmatic 930 in need of some TLC