Sea Ford Restoration

Started by sdlehr, March 22, 2016, 03:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Fred,
I believe the one laying upside down in the back, may be the one he is looking for.  Should be the same as the one in this photo...
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Could be, John --

However, that one is wood.

Whatever everyone decides on -- if I have it -- will go to Sid.

Could be, I do not have the correct one -- we will see.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Superhook

It should have the one like John's reel for a 36 .

Fred's would be correct for a 38 but not the hex handle nut . That's for 33-35.

It should have the scalloped edge handle nut and the safety screw.

Sid's reel had the scalloped edged handle nut still attached.

coastal_dan

Nice! Job well done sir!  :o
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sdlehr

So if I get this, the reel is a '35-'38 model, and depending on the handle I can date it to earlier in that period with the handle like John's or later in that period with swirled plastic handle that Fred has... with my scalloped handle nut.... so seeing as there is only one logical choice available at this time (unless someone else has a handle like John's available) I'll graciously accept the handle offered (without the nut, although that's a pretty cool handle nut). Fred, thank you for the offer, I'll PM you my address in a few days, first I'd like to see if Keith (who came to mind first) or anyone else has the handle Ray mentioned and John pictured for us.

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. I didn't invent this epoxy technique, I just read about it and decided it was something I wanted to try... we all like creating things with our hands.... I'll probably keep and display this reel on a shelf for a long time....

Anyone have a spool for this reel?... it's hard to stop here...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tiddlerbasher

Great job Sid - I must do a crash course in patience ;D

sdlehr

Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Quote from: cbar45 on March 22, 2016, 04:24:37 AM
I have an Ocean City (Bay City) with a chipped handle boss that may be a candidate for the type of repair you showed.
Chad
Chad, if you want to send the side plate in question I could take a crack at repairing it.... just for the practice. These repairs don't take long (he said, having done exactly one his whole life). Post up a pic, let's see what you've got....

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

Sid, you did a great job on your 1938 Sea Ford.

Here is a picture of a 1938 Sea Ford with the correct handle for that year. This handle and handle screw design is used for 1938 only. In 1939 Penn changed to the torpedo handle for the Sea Ford and in 1937, the catalog shows the hex nut handle without the locking nut. This handle is a tough find. it combines the old wood knob style with the new scalloped locking nut design.

The one in John's photo is the hard rubber knob, which is also correct.

sdlehr

Quote from: Superhook on March 22, 2016, 04:10:50 AM
Great save Sid . :)

It is a 1936-38 model so you should have the handle with the hard rubber type knob that imitates the early wooden hour glass style.

Quote from: Superhook on March 22, 2016, 05:00:33 AM
Sid,

Yardage on foot started in 36.

Plain Tail pates on most models went to graphics late 38-39 .

If i'm wrong Mike will correct the info .

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 22, 2016, 11:51:31 PM
Fred,
I believe the one laying upside down in the back, may be the one he is looking for.  Should be the same as the one in this photo...

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 24, 2016, 02:32:55 PM
Sid, you did a great job on your 1938 Sea Ford.

Here is a picture of a 1938 Sea Ford with the correct handle for that year. This handle and handle screw design is used for 1938 only. In 1939 Penn changed to the torpedo handle for the Sea Ford and in 1937, the catalog shows the hex nut handle without the locking nut. This handle is a tough find. it combines the old wood knob style with the new scalloped locking nut design.

The one in John's photo is the hard rubber knob, which is also correct.

Thanks, Mike. I'm trying to process all this information. The knob in the photo you posted, is it hard rubber? wood? plastic?  I can't tell from the photo. It seems what gave the age away was the combination of the scalloped handle nut and the plain tail plate. Later models had the scalloped nut but the torpedo handle knob. Earlier had the hex nut. Got it. I'll forget it after lunch, but I think I've got it now  ;D

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks, Mike. I'm trying to process all this information. The knob in the photo you posted, is it hard rubber? wood? plastic?  I can't tell from the photo. It seems what gave the age away was the combination of the scalloped handle nut and the plain tail plate. Later models had the scalloped nut but the torpedo handle knob. Earlier had the hex nut. Got it. I'll forget it after lunch, but I think I've got it now  Grin

The knob is my photo is wood, the knob in John's photo is hard rubber. Plastic or resin knobs do not apply to a 1938 Sea Ford. I am dating your reel in two ways. The tail plate is plain, making it a 1938 or earlier reel. The handle nut is scalloped making it a 1938 or later reel. Being that your reel is built with a plain tail plate and a scalloped handle nut, it cannot be anything other than a 1938 Sea Ford, which would use either my handle knob or John's.

sdlehr

Thanks, Mike. That makes it pretty clear and unambiguous. It seems that last week I received a Long Beach 60 from the same era with a handle that I thought might be a match - what do you think? Is this hard rubber or plastic? How can I tell? It doesn't look exactly like John's, I don't think it's wood. It might look a lot more like your wood one.... but the counterbalance is all wrong... drat!
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

I know you asked Mike, but IMHO.. that one looks to be a suitable 1938 handle.  Now I suppose you are looking for a ca.1938 LB handle ? :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Superhook

Sid,

If you look closely you can usually see a line around the circumference on the widest part which indicates a hard rubber .

I can see a ridge of indents on yours so it is hard rubber. Perfect for this reel.

Ray

sdlehr

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 25, 2016, 04:27:14 AM
I know you asked Mike, but IMHO.. that one looks to be a suitable 1938 handle.  Now I suppose you are looking for a ca.1938 LB handle ? :)
That would be nice, and, yes, that's the way this works, right? Now I need a handle for my LB....

Sid

I found this handle on the 80 I did a few months ago; it's wood, and I think has the same counterbalance...but is just a tad shorter than the other handle

If I can use this handle I won't need to find one suitable for the LB :D
Sid Lehr