Sea Ford Restoration

Started by sdlehr, March 22, 2016, 03:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Quote from: Superhook on March 25, 2016, 04:43:17 AM
Sid,

If you look closely you can usually see a line around the circumference on the widest part which indicates a hard rubber .

I can see a ridge of indents on yours so it is hard rubber. Perfect for this reel.

Ray
Thanks Ray!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Superhook

Sid,
with regards to your #80 . It is correct for an #80.

The wood knob is the same as lots of early reels.  The blade would not be right for your Sea Ford because the coating should be polished chrome and should have a hole for a safety screw for the scalloped edged nut. The counterweight is too small for your Sea Ford. I often wondered how Penn employees got to know so many different parts that were used for different reels in the same Era.

It is correct for the #80 it is on.

Ray

Penn Chronology

Sid, I agree with Ray and John. The handle on your Long Beach would be suitable for the 1938 Sea Ford, it seems to be a hard rubber handle. The finish on the hard rubber handle was kind of dull and the handle did not have the hard smooth feel of a resin or catalin plastic handle. Penn used hard rubber knobs because they were cheaper than the wood knobs.

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 25, 2016, 07:29:28 AM
Sid, I agree with Ray and John. The handle on your Long Beach would be suitable for the 1938 Sea Ford, it seems to be a hard rubber handle. The finish on the hard rubber handle was kind of dull and the handle did not have the hard smooth feel of a resin or catalin plastic handle. Penn used hard rubber knobs because they were cheaper than the wood knobs.
Thanks Mike, and everyone. I guess I'm still in need of a handle - for either the Sea Ford or the LB...

Sid
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

I've just gone over this info again, as I still do not have a handle for this reel. If you take the info from replies #39 and Mike's picture of a '38 Sea Ford with a wooden handle from reply #40, it would appear that one of Fred's wooden handles would be correct for this reel. Fred, can you send pics of the handles again, those that have the proper counterbalance and wood or hard rubber knobs? I think one of those is likely to be correct now that I have rethought this.

Thanks,
Sid
Sid Lehr

Donnyboat

Sid, great work, you really brought that reel back to life, I have been working with an epoxy called Techni glue, part A & part B is the hardener, two parts A to one part B, I like it, as it does not run like most 2 part epoxies, I had it posted from Queensland, Australia to Western Australia, I think there is 500Mls part A, & 250 Mls part b, about AU $ 75.00, if this info can help anyone, takes about 3 Hours to set, but best left over night, I have used 5 Minute araldite, but it is quite runny, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 25, 2016, 02:30:04 AMI am dating your reel in two ways. The tail plate is plain, making it a 1938 or earlier reel. The handle nut is scalloped making it a 1938 or later reel.
Mike, I know this post is old, but I'm going through some reels and the '37 catalog, while it shows a picture of a hex handle nut, has a written description that says, "Handle screw locking device". So it appears that the photo and the description are two different reels. Same with the Bridge City on that same page of the catalog.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, I know this post is old, but I'm going through some reels and the '37 catalog, while it shows a picture of a hex handle nut, has a written description that says, "Handle screw locking device". So it appears that the photo and the description are two different reels. Same with the Bridge City on that same page of the catalog.

Not two different reels. Two different descriptions. The pictures in the 1937 brochure are obsolete but the descriptions are mostly reflecting the new locking handle screw. It is the same with the Long Beach, Coronado and Bayside; but, not the Ocean Side. Penn got it straightened out in 1938 adding new renditions with the locking handle screw. Everything is good again one year later.

sdlehr

Mike, the point I was making was that you had dated my Sea Ford a year or two ago based on the photo, which you just said is obsolete. We had thought it was a '38, but it would appear the '37 and '38 were the same. Or do I have it wrong? I removed the political reference in your response, we don't do politics or religion here.

Sid
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuoteWe had thought it was a '38, but it would appear the '37 and '38 were the same.

Cannot say 100%. In 1937 the description says there is a locking screw for the handle and the picture has a hex screw. Take your choice.

More than likely the 1937 model year produced both.

QuoteMike, the point I was making was that you had dated my Sea Ford a year or two ago based on the photo, which you just said is obsolete.

I stated the rendition of the reel was obsolete because it is the same rendition that Penn has been using since 1934. The fact that I stated it was obsolete is my opinion, which could very well be wrong.

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 26, 2017, 07:17:36 AM
Cannot say 100%. In 1937 the description says there is a locking screw for the handle and the picture has a hex screw. Take your choice. More than likely the 1937 model year produced both.

Yeah, I'm going to go with the hex nut at the beginning of the year and the scalloped nut at the end, but like you said, not sure if it is right.... which would make this Sea Ford a Late '37 or '38 model.

Thanks.

Sid
Sid Lehr