Gear Sleeve Pin...

Started by hippie, March 23, 2016, 10:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippie

Hi men, I am fixing my drag setup and have a question. The reel is a 113H Special Senator, red side plates. Do I leave the pin stick out slightly to keep all drag washers in place below it?  If I do allow it to stick out how is the "star" going to compress the drag washers when turned down?  Thank you, Bob

Dominick

Bob if you are talking about the pin that holds the sleeve in place the answer is no.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

What Dominick said, x2. Make certain none of it protrudes from the sleeve.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

hippie

Yes, we are talking the "gear sleeve pin". Thank you both for the reply. What does that pin do? I cannot see any purpose that it serves.  Thank you, Bob

foakes

It keeps the sleeve in place on the bridge assembly -- without it, about 3 or 4 reel functions would not work.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Also, if you're using a reel with the easy access drag system, your handle, sleeve and gear would fly out as a semiautomatic shotgun shell under the right condition....that wouldn't be good.
Amazing how important that little pin is...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

hippie

So what everyone is saying is that the gear sleeve and bridge are not one piece and the gear sleeve pin somehow holds both together? I did not realize that as I thought the sleeve and bridge were all one piece.  Thank you, Bob

Alto Mare

By the way, as for the handle and gear going flying, must reels are safe.  The larger senators are the ones that would cause some damage if the pin wasn't set in place.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Quote from: hippie on March 27, 2016, 03:15:26 PM
So what everyone is saying is that the gear sleeve and bridge are not one piece and the gear sleeve pin somehow holds both together? I did not realize that as I thought the sleeve and bridge were all one piece.  Thank you, Bob
Bob, the bridge is two pieces peened together, the post peened into the bridge plate. The gear sleeve rides on and rotates on the post. The post has a groove cut out for the pin to ride in. If you remove the pin you can pull the sleeve off the post, and you should if you strip down a reel.

There are tutorials that show photos of how to remove the pin and replace it. They're on this site.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Cone

On a few reels I've worked on the pin had mushroomed slightly and could not be put in flush. Maybe thats why they got rid of it? I just take a file and file it flush with the sleeve orchange it out.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

hippie

I must say everyone here is correct! I looked at the reel today and can clearly see what you all mean. I had thought it was one piece but I can see that it is not.  Thank you all, Bob

sdlehr

Bob, for future reference, if it's a moving part, it can't be one piece, it has to be a minimum of two. Now, whether you can easily separate it into two pieces or not is another question, but if it moves, unless it's a spring, it has to be at least two parts.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector