building a rod using a Winthrop adjusta-butt

Started by mikeysm, March 25, 2016, 10:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I a building a tuna rod using a Calstar blank. I will be using a Winthrop adjusta-butt. Will the blank need to be cut down when using the Winthrup butt.

Lowprofile

Depends on the blank and anglers specifications. If the blank is 6ft and you want a 6ft rod then yes. If it's 5ft and you do t mind having a 6'6-6'9 rod then no.

mikeysm

I finally did some research  and yes I can cut the blank at the butt section and it won't change the action as long as I use the winthrop butt to make up the difference. If you cut the tip section the speed of the rod drops and the power increases. If you cut the butt section the speed drops and the power drops. Since I am replacing the rod butt with a winthrop adjusta-butt the action should not change.

Mike

Lowprofile

Unless the rod is parabolic and a slow action. Then you change it to a moderate or moderate slow depending on the length.

Your question was "will the blank need to be cut down". No it will not need to be. Can it? Yes. And you can shape it to your preference.

mikeysm

Yes I did word that wrong I am still learning the the proper way to build a stand up tuna rod. Well it will all come together in the end. I want to maintain the length without changing the action of the rod. So I will shorten the butt section to maintain the length of the blank.

Mike

otownjoe

With a stand up rod used with a harness the length will be helpful in maintaining a good balance. One of the benefits of building a custom rod is you can set it up to get Maximum power with minimal effort. Do  a mock up with the reel you intend to use and see how it feels. If the rod is too long it can make it harder to use and more dangerous.

mikeysm

Here are my finished tuna rods. One is a acid roller rod use All American acid roller guides using a Calstar grafighter 410h 30-80 rod blank. The other is a Calstar grafighter 410xh 40-100 rod blank with All American titanium guides.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

jurel hunter

BTW - have a pair of calstar gf410h blanks that i bought to pair up with the adjustabutts.  ended up going different route and still have the blanks.  will sell them below cost.  if interested, hit me up on bd same user name.  i don't check this forum often

boon

Wow, acid wrap with rollers, never seen that before  :o :o! Obviously special roller guides required.

Rivverrat

Quote from: boon on June 01, 2019, 11:47:20 PM
Wow, acid wrap with rollers, never seen that before  :o :o! Obviously special roller guides required.

New one for me also.
Mike if you get a chance could you show a close up of one of the belly roller guides. My mind is having trouble seeing how this would work. However rods with rollers are generally not used for casting... Jeff