Stuck Drag Washer

Started by Rweakley, March 26, 2016, 09:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rweakley

hi all!  First post on this forum, though I've been lurking and learning for a while.  I recently got an old crappy Jigmaster off eBay for $20.  I used your tutorial and a few new parts to get the reel working smooth as butter.

The previous repair gave me confidence to tackle a low profile baitcaster with a bad anti reverse bearing.  I got this fixed up, but in the process realized that the drag had stuck itself onto the main gear.  Like welded itself together.  I got the drag washer ripped off, but it left a layer of papery felt (I think).  I initially started trying to scrape it off with a screw driver, but was afraid I would scratch the surface of the gear.  So I tried soaking in acetone and then painters solvent.  But the damn thing is still leaving residue from the washer.

Once I get this cleaned up, I can put in a new washer (with some Cal's this time) and the reel will be fishable again.  It's an Abu Garcia Black Max.  It was/is my first and only baitcaster, so I want it working again.  I know it's not high end, but I bought it to learn and practice bait casting.  It only lasted a few fishing outings before the anti-reverse went out.  I don't know how long the drags had been starting to stick.

On a separate note, I bought a new anti-reverse bearing.  I wish I would have seen one of these threads earlier, because it looks like I could've saved $10 and just cleaned out the old one!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Rweakley--

Sounds like you might consider investing in a Dremel power tool with some wire wheel attachment bits...

And eye protection.

Easy job to get those old drag washers off that way.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rweakley

Fred, I have a Dremel.  I think my wire wheel may be worn just about all the way down, but I can pick up another.  I was planning on polishing the brass gear with a polishing pad on the Dremel and some Brasso once the washer was cleaned off.  Never thought about using a wire wheel, so thanks!

Rweakley

Just an update fellas, I used a flame on the stuck material followed by the wire wheel of a dremel.  It came out clean as a whistle.

Now if I could just get my replacement drags in, I could reassemble the damn reel!  They've been in order now for about a week and a half, and I haven't received a shipping notice yet!  I gotta get my work bench cleaned up, because I have a power rod wrapper on the way, but I have parts all over it right now.

foakes

Good job, RW!

Sounds like you are doing and learning very well.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.