Servicing a Penn Senator 118 (16/0)

Started by Alto Mare, February 18, 2011, 11:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirmypug

How thick it the original dog? I have some stainless sheet thats about 1/16 is this too thin?If it is the right size for dogs I might be able to send some out to those that want to make a few.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 04, 2012, 09:23:30 PM
How thick it the original dog? I have some stainless sheet thats about 1/16 is this too thin?If it is the right size for dogs I might be able to send some out to those that want to make a few.

Yes, you will need 1/8. I just want to mention that it might not be worth the effort. Of course I don't know if you have experience with power tools, I'm a General Contractor and have lots and lots of tools, this dog was cut with a diamond tool with lots of water running through it, to keep the piece cool. I believe that the piece would be worthless if you overheat it, Keta could answer that one better than me, I'm a stone/brick mason and carpenter and don't know much about steel.
I would recommend to get Lee (Keta) to make us some, but I'm not sure if he would be willing, he's already helping us quite a bit. I know for sure that I would not attempt another one, I just don't have the patience that I used to have. Sal
Quote from: alantani on March 04, 2012, 08:52:34 PM
i'm thinking that the next run of gear sleeves should have more teeth.  great post!

Great idea Alan, put me down for a half dozen. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Squirmypug

Guess the 1/16 won't work then.I'm a welder so I also have alot of tools, I've got 1/8HR steel but will keep an eye out for 1/8SS.I don't think over heating the SS while cutting it will hurt, it may get a little color at the cut but thats ok.I have also thought about making SS bridge plates, if I find the steel I can cut it to shape but I don't have a lathe to make the post.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Makule

Sal, could you pleeeeze make me one?  I have no use for it but will put it in a frame with a note that says, "Made by the master, Sal".

Ok, since you're not going to be making any for anyone, how about you just send me your tank?  I'll put a gummy label on the left side plate with the same note. :D

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 04, 2012, 08:00:07 PM
I had a piece of stainless steel in the garage and I decided to give this a shot. I got the motivation from Lee, thanks Lee but you can have it. This is all done by hand using some of the tools that I have. As you know, I really like you guys, so don't ask me to make you one because I'm just not going to do it, sorry.
This dog is installed on my 16/0, that's the same reel that I made a tutorial on, when I first joined this great site. I thought I was cool then, boy did I look stupid afterward, besides Alan, I had no idea of the talent that already existed here. Here are a couple of shots.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 04, 2012, 10:03:40 PM
Guess the 1/16 won't work then.I'm a welder so I also have alot of tools, I've got 1/8HR steel but will keep an eye out for 1/8SS.I don't think over heating the SS while cutting it will hurt, it may get a little color at the cut but thats ok.I have also thought about making SS bridge plates, if I find the steel I can cut it to shape but I don't have a lathe to make the post.
I wasn't bragging or anything, I'm actually sick of it. I've being doing this for over 40 years, I just wanted to prove a point that if you didn't have to ...don't.  Of course it shouldn't be a problem for you. I only had one bracket that someone made me a while back for a job, if I had more I would have send it to you. Good luck with it, I'm sure it would be a piece of cake for you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

No master here Albert, just finding new things to do to get on my wife's nerves ;)

Makule

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 04, 2012, 11:40:08 PM
No master here Albert, just finding new things to do to get on my wife's nerves ;)

Ok, so how about sending me the Tank?  That should really get her going since you spent all that time on it just to send it away?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Squirmypug

I don't know that it would be a piece of cake for me but I would like to try to make some things for senators. If I ever make any SS bridge plates/ posts I will have to send a few out to members on here.I think the tank could use a little more SS in it  ;D

Makule

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 05, 2012, 12:10:09 AM
I don't know that it would be a piece of cake for me but I would like to try to make some things for senators. If I ever make any SS bridge plates/ posts I will have to send a few out to members on here.I think the tank could use a little more SS in it  ;D

What, exactly are you trying to make that you need a lathe for?

Squirmypug

Need the lathe to make the post that the gear sleeve is on.

redsetta

G'day SP,
The post is S/S already, so you could potentially punch it out and re-press it into an S/S bridge plate.
I'm curious, though, about the advantages of an S/S bridge, as I've never seen one fail etc.
No doubt they look great, but are there other advantages you have in mind?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Squirmypug

I don't know that it would really help anything but wouldn't it be nice to open a Senator and see all SS?It wouldn't turn green either  :)  Thats a good idea for the post also, but last time I had to buy a bridge plate for a 113 it cost $18..If I can make the post cheaper it would be better.

Makule

Quote from: Squirmypug on March 05, 2012, 12:13:53 AM
Need the lathe to make the post that the gear sleeve is on.

I could probably cut you the shaft, but need the exact dimension.  How will you mount it?  Weld?

Alto Mare

I'm thinking that it's a great idea, not only for beauty but also for functionality. We could use a bridge that is an 1/8 of an inch wider by the new dog area on the 113h. Squirmypug, you and Keta and Albert should have a meeting, Keta came up with that idea when I first converted the reel/tank. Good luck with it, I'm hoping that something will come out of it. Sal

Squirmypug

Yes I was thinking about drilling a hole for the post to go through and tig welding it from the back.Would need a tight fit to keep the post from pulling so much when welded.Could also thread the bottom of the post and screw it into the plate and put just a very small tack weld to keep it from backing out, it would keep the heat from welding down and reduce warping of the SS.