alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Ground Squirrel pellet gun
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
February 21, 2020, 03:45:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground Squirrel pellet gun  (Read 48094 times)
pjstevko

« on: March 30, 2016, 09:41:32 AM »

I owe about 3/4 of an acre and the ground squirrels have become a problem on the back portion of my property. I'm looking for pellet gun recommendations to control them. The distance I'll be shooting is 35-50 yards. I'm hoping to keep the cost reasonable ($200)

Thanks

PJ
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:49:51 AM by pjstevko » Logged
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »

this should go without saying, but be sure you can shot those rodents in your yard.  Some tree hugger may say otherwise and have created a law in your area.

Funny, we are going to cap a few ground squirrels ourselves shortly.  We will be using 0.22s.  Not sure about a good pellet gun though.  Maybe I should bring one along for kicks.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
pjstevko

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 11:32:35 AM »

this should go without saying, but be sure you can shot those rodents in your yard.  Some tree hugger may say otherwise and have created a law in your area.

Funny, we are going to cap a few ground squirrels ourselves shortly.  We will be using 0.22s.  Not sure about a good pellet gun though.  Maybe I should bring one along for kicks.

That's the exact reason why I want a pellet gun just to be safe and plus the neighbors all shoot pellet guns in the area too.
I've done a ton of reading/research on this topic and its a very popular hunting option for small game and pest control....

Bryan I think you'd have a blast using a pellet gun if you can get with 20-30 yards....
Long Enuff

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 11:49:39 AM »

I have a Savage 1000fps single cock with a 4x scope that I use all the time, shot one yesterday.  There are quite a few good brands out there, Savage, Ruger, Benjamin etc.  Just get a 1,000 to 1,200 fps rated model with a 4X scope and you will be fine.  You can find them on line for $100 to $200 dollars.  Use a good quality pellet also, you may have to experiment a little to find what works best in your gun.  Good Luck.

Bill

Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 12:10:32 PM »

I have a Savage 1000fps single cock with a 4x scope that I use all the time, shot one yesterday.  There are quite a few good brands out there, Savage, Ruger, Benjamin etc.  Just get a 1,000 to 1,200 fps rated model with a 4X scope and you will be fine.  You can find them on line for $100 to $200 dollars.  Use a good quality pellet also, you may have to experiment a little to find what works best in your gun.  Good Luck.

Bill

That looks like a gray Squirrel to me, at least that's what we call them in these parts. They are good eating. I use A Gamo .177 Cal. with a scope 1200fps. That will do the job if you use the right pellet and don't shoot on a cross wind.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
pjstevko

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 12:18:13 PM »

I'm looking to upgrade my 760 Pumpmaster which I can't seem to get good grouping with at the distance I need to....
Long Enuff

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 12:21:59 PM »

You are correct Joe; I am shooting mine in the trees, not the ground variety.
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »

I use a Benjamin with the peep sight to shoot rats, bullfrogs and the occasional mongoose.  To remove weight and make it less cumbersome the stock was cut down to something resembling a pistol grip.  The peep sight is very accurate and will draw a bead more quickly than a scope.
-steve
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:23:45 PM by oc1 » Logged
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 12:28:25 PM »

I'm looking to upgrade my 760 Pumpmaster which I can't seem to get good grouping with at the distance I need to....

You have to consider the wind drift and the light pellet that is effected by it. I sit in my PU on the passenger side and shoot threw the opposite side drivers window. YES I HAVE THE WINDOW OPENED! for all you Smart A$$es DOMINICK! Grin Wink

Joe  

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 01:36:22 PM »

Bill

X2 on a Gamo, got a 3x9 on mine. Picks the tree rats of the power lines with ease.

That looks like a gray Squirrel to me, at least that's what we call them in these parts. They are good eating. I use A Gamo .177 Cal. with a scope 1200fps. That will do the job if you use the right pellet and don't shoot on a cross wind.

Joe
RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 01:46:06 PM »

[/quote]

Joe
[/quote] X2 on a Gamo, I've got a 3X9 scope on mine I pick off the tree rats on the power lines at 35-40 yds. with mine.     Rudy
fsrmn
Firearms Group

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 04:37:18 PM »

I have a Gamo .177 1250 fps also. I was looking for a .22 nitro piston but came across this one for $75 with a hard case. I think the nitro piston is better than a spring for wear and temperature changes and the .22 has more knockdown power, but I am not unhappy with the .177. I was pleasantly surprised at the power it has. I shoot a Beeman 8.8 gr pellet and had to shoot almost 200 to get the grouping tight (2" group at 30yds). The lighter pellets are much louder and hard on the spring. Squirrels in my garden go down easily, rabbits need a head shot. Tongue

Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »

I use a cheap daisy pellet gun for gophers with a 4X scope.  Barely adequate, but works OK.

I used to have an old Savage over under single shot break down.

.410 on bottom barrel -- .22 LR on top, iron sights.

Good varmint weapon for quick selection -- wish I still had one like that.

Our outside cat, Decker, goes down to the neighbors pasture -- brings back gophers without killing them -- so he has something to play with.  Then he lets them go on our property -- about 2 or 3 a week, we know of.

We have lots of grey tree squirrels -- but they are not an issue.  Now, we do not want to talk about the woodpeckers.

Best,

Fred
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:51:11 PM by foakes » Logged

It's not about the cards we're dealt -- it is how we play the hand...

Patience, Preparation, Persistence -- The "3" P's
HOLEINTHEWATER
Firearms Group

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 03:08:45 AM »

YOU NEED TO FIND THE PELLET YOUR GUN LIKES. EVEN THE SAME GUNS LIKE DIFFERENT PELLETS. THEY SELL PELLET KITS WITH DIFFERENT BRAND AND WEIGHTS TO SEE WHAT YOUR GUN LIKES. I HAVE A ROUNG TAIL SQURILL PROBLEM ON MY FIVE ACERS. SHOT OVER HUNDRED RABBITS AND SQURILLS LAST YEAR. I HAVE A GAMMO SHADOW.
DAVE
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 08:10:48 AM »

i was looking at a hatsan.  there are several models.  apparently you can get quite a workout pumping this thing, though.  it's not the easiest air rifle to pump, it's heavy, but very accurate. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: