alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Ground Squirrel pellet gun
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
February 18, 2020, 06:13:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground Squirrel pellet gun  (Read 48073 times)
Rancanfish

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 08:32:58 AM »

I've been plinking at them for a couple of years now.  I just scare them off with my pump pistol.  To pump it up enough to do damage is a lot of work.

I do the same to stop any crows from hanging out. The next block over has a grove of giant trees they populate.  The racket is outrageous every morning as they get their morning wings, and again as they settle down for the evening.  I'm not going to let them set up a nesting foothold near me.   Cry   I think it's illegal to kill them.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 08:52:31 AM »

Crows are part of the Corvaid Family --

They pass along important information on dangers to the younger generation -- which can carry on for years without ever experiencing that threat.  They are are considered one of the (3) most intelligent animals in Nature.

They can count as high as double digits -- and use tools.

I have some friends that cannot do that well.

What is a flock of Crows called?  -- A Murder of Crows.

Crows, Ravens, Jays, Clarks Nutcrackers -- all very fascinating birds.

It is not that I am that smart -- but we just viewed a piece on Nova or Nature, about Crows.

And we have observed their behavior around our house.

Best,

Fred

It's not about the cards we're dealt -- it is how we play the hand...

"As you get older you find out most of your dreams don't really come true anyway.  They keep you goin', but they don't often turn out.  Still, without them a man never would amount to much."

Elmer Kelton, Pecos Crossing, 1963
Rancanfish

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 09:23:06 AM »

I seem to remember people used to make fine pets out of them.

I just noticed the picture at the bottom of your post.  I'd swear you are trying to figure out how to add bearings to a lure.   Grin

foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 09:28:33 AM »

I just noticed the picture at the bottom of your post.  I'd swear you are trying to figure out how to add bearings to a lure.   Grin

Actually using a syringe to inject a nightcrawler with air -- allows the crawler to float about 12" or so off the bottom with just a BB shot for weight to hold it down.

Great for Browns or Rainbows in our lakes up here in the Sierras.

Best,

Fred

It's not about the cards we're dealt -- it is how we play the hand...

"As you get older you find out most of your dreams don't really come true anyway.  They keep you goin', but they don't often turn out.  Still, without them a man never would amount to much."

Elmer Kelton, Pecos Crossing, 1963
theswimmer

Sierra Nevada

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 03:01:29 PM »

Actually using a syringe to inject a nightcrawler with air -- allows the crawler to float about 12" or so off the bottom with just a BB shot for weight to hold it down.

Great for Browns or Rainbows in our lakes up here in the Sierras.

Shhhhhh!

Best,

Fred

Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.

Clark Gable
Rancanfish

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 05:45:04 PM »

Yep!  Works here at the local lakes too.  Not too many not using power bait instead though.

steelhead_killer

Andy

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 06:20:59 PM »

I grew up with a Sheridan Pellet gun that dropped MANY ground squirrels.  Iron sights, very accurate.  You don't need much.  Daisy BB guns took down many a squirrel.  I read that you should try and stay under 1000-1200 fps so that it is more accurate.  Something about the sound barrier that affects accuracy if I recall. 

Andy

><)))">
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 04:53:38 AM »

I have read all the input about air rifles here and I just have to say you can over think things to death and many of us have our favorite pellet rifles, the modern spring action pellet rifles are the best there are out there today. A few have said it about pellets "You have to find the one that works best in the particular rifle".

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
pjstevko

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 03:01:58 PM »

After researching this for the last 2 weeks I was ready to say screw it and drop big bucks on a RWS 34 in .22 caliber but then I found this guy.....Mike Melick at Flying Dragon Air Rifles

Mike offers break downs, clean, lubes, polishes, trigger mods and full tune ups on all air rifles he sells. Based on the research I've done looking into him and his company and his reputation in the air gunner community I bit the pellet and bought this....

http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

It's a clone of the exact model RWS 34 I originally wanted...I ordered a .22 version with a full tune up and Mike said it should be in my hand by Friday!!!!

Tiddlerbasher
Photo Group

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 04:54:58 PM »

I have been using a pre-charged Falcon (British make) 19" barrel air rifle. I have 'tweaked' it somewhat to provide 25 shots at 1000fps on a single charge. This gives me (on a good day Wink) 1/2" groups at 35yds. Squirrels, rabbits etc. beware Smiley

Fitted with a silencer this is QUIET. Apparently there is an option of a 10 shot rotary magazine - I never seem to find that many targets Sad

I use it in conjunction with a 4x9 50mm Tasco scope. Makes a rabbit look like a bison Grin
CapeFish

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 12:08:44 AM »

Weihrauch make excellent air rifles, very accurate. Go for accuracy before you go for FPS with spring powered air rifles, it is a big mistake people make. Hatsans and Gamos are generally inaccurate especially if you go over 1000 FPS and very few scopes work on spring powered air rifles, the vibrations of the spring messes them up. In a league of their own are the PCP rifles, powerful and extremely accurate. You also have the advantage of quick loading with multi shot models. Draw back is the cost and the need for a special pump or dive cylinder to compress it. Also consider a 5 or 5.5mm caliber. O yes, also avoid all those gimmicky pellets with hollow points or plastic housings. A round nose pellet is far more accurate and gets the job done.
Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 03:57:39 AM »

Dynamil Nobel makes good Pellets

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
pjstevko

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 07:09:22 AM »

I've got 4 different brands of pellets coming my way. They range in weight from 14-16 grain and all but one are round nosed/domed style heads.

I researched which pellets owners of my brand gun prefer and bough the top 4 mentioned so we'll see...

Now all I have to do is fill a 5 gallon bucket with some rubber mulch, tape a target to the lid and fire off about 1000 rounds to see which one my gun will like!!!!
Steve-O
Firearms Group

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 12:18:19 PM »

I have had the B-26 for over a decade. Plus a couple qb co2 guns. The B-26 likes JSBs as do most airguns, after that Crosman Premiers. One of those two should do well in yours.

Pointed, hollowpoint and wadcutters are way down the line over domed as far as consistent accuracy goes.

Good luck with yours and yes, ALL birds except 3 species ( IIRC ) are protected under the Federal Migratory Bird law.
thorhammer

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 12:28:17 PM »

this should go without saying, but be sure you can shot those rodents in your yard.  Some tree hugger may say otherwise and have created a law in your area.

Funny, we are going to cap a few ground squirrels ourselves shortly.  We will be using 0.22s.  Not sure about a good pellet gun though.  Maybe I should bring one along for kicks.

hey I'm a tree hugger.... how will I get Spotted Owl pate without trees to shoot them from ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: