Upgrading gears in my penn 710z

Started by Marcq, April 02, 2016, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

I really like this little reel except for the 3.6:1 gear ratio and the 23" line retrieve. I heard I while back that the gears from the 712Z  4.1:1 would fit in the 710 but never actually saw it being done , what was the gain obtained and if it would affect the laying of the line on the spool. It was also mention that the gain was marginal.I had the main gear already but not the pinion, ordered that and took the opportunity to do a clean up at the same time, it was due

Open her up, wasn't that bad

Gear side by side, you can tell the difference

4.1:1 size

3.6:1 size

4.1:1 thickness

3.6:1 thickness

The 4.1:1 has just one extra tooth  :-\

Pinions, the smaller one is the 712 one less tooth

710 pinion

In goes the new pinion

Main gear

Went to the field to see if it was laying the line properly and it did like the stock gears

So the combination of the 712 gear and the bigger spool of the 710, it gained 5" in line retrieve from 23" to 28", I don't call that marginal at all, I'm glad I did it and look forward to see how the smaller pinion will react in a tough situation

Marc..

Alto Mare

Mark, I never even gave it a thought about doing something similar, you got too much time in your hands ...just kidding. ;D
You have just uncovered a good secret, especially with parts getting scarce on these.
Please report back after fishing it.
Good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marcq

Alto Mare

That wood knob would look best on that baby ;) ;D...just my opinion and yes, I don't forget a thing ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

surfcaster

That's a Nice reel, I learned something new.I always thought the 710 & 712 had the same inner parts.
   Very weak bail on 710 & 712z. My 710z kept closing with anything heavier than 2 oz on the cast. 
  The mitchell  bail-less kit on your reel is the way to go. would make a good striped bass reel.

Marcq

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 02, 2016, 07:08:25 PM
That wood knob would look best on that baby ;) ;D...just my opinion and yes, I don't forget a thing ;D
The curse of the wooden knob, will probably never catch again a fish on that reel  ;D

Marc..

STRIPER LOU

Good idea Marcq. I'll have to give that one a try. Did you machine the rotor yourself? I'm machining a couple of them similar to relief on the Van Stahl. Its taking a while as all I have to use is a 5C collet indexer in my mill.
The VS is on the bias. Looks cool though!
Have a great evening,  ..  Lou

Marcq

Quote from: surfcaster on April 02, 2016, 09:00:28 PM

Very weak bail on 710 & 712z. My 710z kept closing with anything heavier than 2 oz on the cast. 

Yeah that drove me nuts
Thanks, Marc..

Marcq

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on April 02, 2016, 11:35:18 PM
Did you machine the rotor yourself?
The VS is on the bias. Looks cool though!

Thanks Lou, Yes I did but very rudimentary , drill press and a jig

Marc..

handi2

Thanks for showing this. Now we all know without lifting a finger..!! Well one finger..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

STRIPER LOU

Great job for a drill press and jig.  Milling them on the bias is a bugger. Best way for me has been to put a wooden plug in the rotor for support. Keep up the good work.

Now, go make more!
............Lou

Marcq

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on April 03, 2016, 12:40:35 AM
Great job for a drill press and jig.  Milling them on the bias is a bugger. Best way for me has been to put a wooden plug in the rotor for support. Keep up the good work.

Now, go make more!
............Lou

Pretty simple jig, a guy at Surf Talk made one, was a great and simple idea
So I made one

Marc..

Marcq

Quote from: handi2 on April 03, 2016, 12:33:47 AM
Thanks for showing this. Now we all know without lifting a finger..!! Well one finger..

;D

Marc..

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

nelz

Nice gearing upgrade indeed. I am curious about the finish though. Looks like you stripped the paint off, but did you coat the reel with anything afterwards?