Xcaliber Marine rods - anyone ever use these?

Started by Nasty Wendy, April 03, 2016, 01:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasty Wendy

Ebay has these bent butt rods at a great (read cheap) price.  Anyone ever give a reel a test run on one?  I'm thinking about picking up one to mate with a Penn International 80 TW.  Any feedback?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STRAIGHT-AND-BENT-BUTT-TROLLING-ROD-BIG-GAME-ROD-80-130LB-/162020443312?hash=item25b92bc4b0:g:OqwAAOSw7FRWUSKL
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

conchydong

At that price, I am sure that they are made offshore (China), but who knows, they may be decent. As far as inexpensive offshore trolling rods go, I have read plenty of good feedback from ones sold by a company called Pinnacle Marine as they use Alps components. I have personally not fished them though.

When fishing for big fish, I would probably err on the side of caution and get a proven (rod blank) set up.

Good luck, and if you get them, tell us what you think.

Scott

Nasty Wendy

They claim to be custom made rods but the prices are very low.  I pulled the trigger so I'll have feedback to give when my package arrives.  Got my fingers crossed to get offshore this coming weekend and should be able to do a 'field' test.  Is it still a 'field' test when its done in the water? :D  

But man everything is being made in China...well almost everything.  French fries, German Chocolate, Swiss Alp knives, 'Made in the USA' stickers, ect are all made in China!!!!!  Well not 100% of all of them but you can find all those things made in China.  The US Olympic team uniforms are made in China.
Hi I'm Clay.

theswimmer

Nasty,
Kinda sucks  Eh What?
I bought an off brand big rod, not a bargain
We have always bought  Old School like Harnell and Fenwick's just because I can afford it.
I would still be stoked to see a positive review!
Shoot some pics!
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Errol Flynn

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: theswimmer on April 04, 2016, 01:34:15 AM
As in where is
Luling???

For a fisherman Luling is at the corner of Saltwater Paradise and Freshwater Paradise.   ;D  Thanks for the welcome.

For scale it is approx 80 miles from Baton Rouge to New Orleans.  It takes me about 1.5 hours to drive to Venice Marina.

Hi I'm Clay.

Tightlines667

Great fishing outta Venice and down outta Port Eads there.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 04, 2016, 02:54:08 AM
Great fishing outta Venice and down outta Port Eads there.

Absolutely.  I've never stayed at Eads.  It is rather expensive so we just sleep on the boat....actually I fish clean through the night and well into the day.  I sleep on the ride in.
Hi I'm Clay.

Reel 224

Nasty; I hope you don't mind me shorting you handle ;D I don't mean to hijack your post by saying USA made material is becoming less and less as time ticks on. A good friend past away three weeks ago and he was American threw and threw, Abe would not purchase anything that was not US made, he was what we refer to as old school. Abe even requested that the mourners at his funeral recite the pledge of allegiance. Sorry to hijack your post but I thought I should say that in response to AMERICAN MADE!

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Nasty Wendy

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 04, 2016, 02:26:29 PM
Nasty; I hope you don't mind me shorting you handle ;D I don't mean to hijack your post by saying USA made material is becoming less and less as time ticks on. A good friend past away three weeks ago and he was American threw and threw, Abe would not purchase anything that was not US made, he was what we refer to as old school. Abe even requested that the mourners at his funeral recite the pledge of allegiance. Sorry to hijack your post but I thought I should say that in response to AMERICAN MADE!

Joe 

Wow he was a patriot and they are a dying breed of people.
Hi I'm Clay.

Reel 224

Quote from: Nasty Wendy on April 04, 2016, 05:02:37 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on April 04, 2016, 02:26:29 PM

Joe 

Wow he was a patriot and they are a dying breed of people.

Exactly!! :(

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Nasty Wendy

package arrived

I'll post pics a bit later.  I found the "Rods" forum so I'll post the pics in a thread there.
Hi I'm Clay.