Impressive Penn Fathom 25N LD 2 Speed Catch

Started by SoCalAngler, April 04, 2016, 04:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I got a report from my buddy Rick Hill down in Loreto about a catch he made on his Fathom 25N LD 2 that I recommenced would be a nice reel for the type of fishing we do there. While fishing for yellowtail with live bait he hooks something big and about 2 hours later look at what they put on the boat.

I had the reel rigged for him with 300 yards of 60 lb spectra and around 30 yards of Izorline 40 lb XXX on top. He was fishing with live jurelito for bait, big circle hooks and 12 ounces of lead. This day he was also using a 80 lb leader to finish up his terminal tackle.

They did not weigh the Thresher shark but it was estimated to go around 175 lbs.

A shark ban starts next month on the 1st May and runs to the 31st of July- no sharks are to be kept, so if your heading down to Mexican waters be aware of this. I'm not sure if the ban is nation wide or if it is just in the Loreto marine reserve, so if you happen to catch a shark be up to date on the regs.

johndtuttle

Too bad the commercials harvesting Shark Fins for soup in China are destroying the fishery because Thresher is excellent eating.

Nice catch :).

Tightlines667

Nice catch.  Thrashers and Mako do eat well too.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rivverrat

I dont know. But is there any other lighter weight reel that could conceivably be counted on to do this again repeatedly? At the Fathom's price ? With as few (ZERO) complaints as the Fathom ? Things can always be better.  
However for the Fathom series of reels to be performing for the time they have with what is essentially " No Regular Complaints " of any merit, is astounding & in my mind a benchmark.

I make no claims other than having a love for fishing my rivers with an extreme interest in the gear I use & how it works. It wasn't long ago a shark or any fish this size, on a reel this size, caught with out chase would have been considered a stunt.    
Fantastic Catch! ....Jeff

steelfish

this little guy is on my TO BUY list, perfect for yellow tails and Im pretty sure it would be a delight to cast spoos and small jigs to our Sierras
The Baja Guy

SoCalAngler

Steelfish, Rick uses the 25N LD 2 speed as a 40 and sometimes 50 lb reel. There great for yoyo iron jurel but may be a bit of over kill for the sierras. If your looking for a solid 30 lb test reel go with the star drag 25N or for 20-25 and maybe even 30 lb test a star drag 15 will keep costs down. But, once you fish a 25N LD 2 speed with 40 lb test all the 113's will only be used as loaners or sold off, trust me on this  ;)

MarkT

Between the Fathom 25nld2, Avet JX 6/3, Daiwa Saltiga 40ld2, Avet JX and HX Raptors, my YTS never got used so I sold it to someone who will still use it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 08, 2016, 02:12:02 AM
Steelfish, Rick uses the 25N LD 2 speed as a 40 and sometimes 50 lb reel. There great for yoyo iron jurel but may be a bit of over kill for the sierras. If your looking for a solid 30 lb test reel go with the star drag 25N or for 20-25 and maybe even 30 lb test a star drag 15 will keep costs down. But, once you fish a 25N LD 2 speed with 40 lb test all the 113's will only be used as loaners or sold off, trust me on this  ;)

yep, I think you're righ on that buddy, I was actually thinking on getting the 30LD 2 and stop using the trinidad 16, let the Baja to be the trolling /bait reel and keep using the calcutta 400TE as the ligth tackle for sierras and curvinas and such, I already have a saltist 20h that I use as back up for sierras and inshore fishing

great report and great catch

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 08, 2016, 02:12:02 AM
  But, once you fish a 25N LD 2 speed with 40 lb test all the 113's will only be used as loaners or sold off, trust me on this  ;)
Right On ! I couldnt agree with you more on this. I have a friends 25N ld .  I've been fishing it loaded with 60 lb. line. With strike set at 15 lbs. & the next setting making around 20 lbs. of drag. Using it all day while having it in hand there is a noticable difference between its weight & my Andros 12

Big Tim

I haven't got anything big on my 25NLD but I can't seem to get away from it as my go to reel. I am picking up a second one for the SOA charter for the YoYo. Can't beat the price or function.
BT