Going out on the Freelance on 4/6/16=- Update

Started by Bill B, April 05, 2016, 01:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

It was a nice morning to start with, headed out to east End of Catalina Island, dropped about 300' and some quality rockfish and sheephead were to be caught, then the wind started to blow, we moved to another 300' spot and more rockfish and sheephead, by the third spot wind was REALLY blowing and we didnt stay long, moved into the leeward side about 150' and put some small rock fish in the boat, final spot at Twin Harbors was 100' and we were able to catch barracuda and bonito.  I put some rockfish in the sack but spent most of my time helping my son bait and drop.  Had a good time getting out and the big Penn 49 sure made a difference pulling up from the 300' mark....Bill

Guess the all that excitement wore the poor guy out... ;D

My son and I are headed out on the Freelance at Newport Landing in SoCal, anyone gonna be in the area?  Latest fish count shows yellowtail on the 3/4 day.  Got the Penn 112H, Penn 310, Penn 49 (Gotta try the Old School), and a Mitchell 302 going along for the ride....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

SoCalAngler

Isn't the Freelance out of Daveys Locker? Not that's it is far from Newport Landing, like 200 yards, but if someone were looking to meet you they would be at the wrong landing.

With a little bit more of a notice I would of gone on that ride with you as both landings are about a 25 minute drive from my house but I have other plans that day.

There was even some talk of Daveys running a extended 3/4 day trip looking for bluefin. BFT are being caught now on 3/4 day trips out of San Diego and fish are moving up the line. So hopefully the tuna will be here soon.

Good luck on your trip.

MarkT

The Freelance and Thunderbird are out of Davey's Locker at the Newport Pavillion. Newport Landing is down a little next to the Balboa Ferry.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bill B

You guys are right....I usually just drive down and wander around till I find what I'm looking for..... ::)   I looked at booking in San Diego but found out a valid passport or card is required to fish anything longer than 1/2 day....kinda strikes me as odd I need a passport to go south of the border and not get off the boat, but none is required for the migrants to come north..... ???  SoCal if things change send me a PM, it would be great to meet you....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

SoCalAngler

I don't fish the Freelance, nothing wrong with the boat I just normally fish longer trips, so I don't know most of the deckhands but if Ricardo is on the deck listen to any info he has. I have fished with him on other boats, both as him working or just fishing on his day off, and he knows his stuff.

MarkT

I go out of Dana Point.  Newport is further for me and the parking isn't free or as convenient.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Thanks for the update. The first pic out in from the quarry is a epic Catalina spot. Too bad the weather did not hold out but the storm front moving in kept me off the water today. I was going to fish the east end but I knew the weather was coming in so I stayed on shore.