cutting custom drag washers from penn ht-100 stock

Started by alantani, December 25, 2008, 08:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

When I use the Punch I like to use the End Grain on a 3X4 or 4X4. You get a nicer cut.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

steelfish

I having hard time to find leather cuts bigger than 1",  while the 114h drag washer is 29-30mm

how do you guys ordered yours?

The Baja Guy

Newell Nut

http://gasket-tools.com/punches-mayhew.asp
This should end your search. I have been using a 16 piece metric set for a couple years now.

steelfish

cool , thanks Dwight

little on the pricey side but I surely get them after saving a bit

The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 08, 2015, 07:38:44 PM
http://gasket-tools.com/punches-mayhew.asp
This should end your search. I have been using a 16 piece metric set for a couple years now.

If I was looking at the set you are talking about it would cost me $210.00, that's pretty steep for a jobber. Doesn't say if it has a center marker, which would come in handy for punching the center hole correctly. Does the set that you have use a center marker?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Joe watch the video.  It shows the center cut.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: steelfish on August 08, 2015, 06:41:41 PM
I having hard time to find leather cuts bigger than 1",  while the 114h drag washer is 29-30mm

how do you guys ordered yours?

Dwight's cutters would do the best job, but if you're only cutting a couple, those might not be worth it.
Anything larger than 1" could easily be cut with scissors, all you would need to punch  is  the ID. If you take your time they would come out almost perfect, just mark them first.
Keep in mind that most drags of the future that I know of will be as the versa drag system, unless you're using Bryan's kits, those are the best.
I know that I will only be using standard washers in my squidder size reels, all the rest will get the versa drag system.
Some will be from Adam and some from Alan C. Alan should have the 5-500 with multiple ears ready soon and I believe the 5-113H is not far behind.
If you're sticking with standard washers on your reels, I would go with Bryan's kits, you will get better performance and less aggravation from cutting your own.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

your right Sal.
But I still might get a fleabay cheap hollow leather cutter set for the reels of friends That are not into mod their reels and go with ocragonal or versa drag upgrades  or spinners.
Or for odd sizes like those found on my omoto "spinner-casting", btw Thanks for those CF washers and the delrin washers you sent me.
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on August 08, 2015, 08:26:35 PM
Joe watch the video.  It shows the center cut.  Dominick

Watched the video Dominick Thanks. But still an expensive investment for Jobber, I may purchase a set in the future if I feel the need is justified.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tiddlerbasher

Newell Nut

If you don't have a closet full of reels and service a lot other people's reels the buy all your drags from Dawn or Bryan. My cutters do a perfect cut and have paid for themselves many times since I have a closet full of reels and service all the party boat reels so easily justified for me. The small time guy would be wasting money on the set that I have.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 09, 2015, 12:06:14 PM
If you don't have a closet full of reels and service a lot other people's reels the buy all your drags from Dawn or Bryan. My cutters do a perfect cut and have paid for themselves many times since I have a closet full of reels and service all the party boat reels so easily justified for me. The small time guy would be wasting money on the set that I have.
I've seen a couple of those reels you work on, you're not a service man, you're a magician ;D.
Yes that set would be well worth it for guys that do lots of service, not for me though, I'll borrow yours if needed ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 09, 2015, 10:46:48 AM
Joe, this thread had some ideas (not all expensive ;)) from various people.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10172.0

Thanks that does give me some other options.

Joe

bgreen

Was looking for a reasonably priced option for carbon fibre sheets to make my own drags foa a shimano TR200g. I know there was another supplier but with postage it was kinda expensive, this is closer to home. Wondering has anyone used them and what the quality looks like? Would I just need the .5mm sheet for the TR200g washers....thanks for your advice

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbontex-Carbon-Fibre-Carbon-Fiber-Drag-Washer-Sheet-0-5-0-8-1-0-1-2-1-4mm-/252404548635?hash=item3ac47bc41b:g:LzUAAOSwcldUY1DI   

oc1

I bought a piece of 0.5mm from that guy and use it without problem.
-steve