130 Sailfisher

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 01:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Nice job!

I have 2 of these reels, and may want to follow suit on upgrading the drags on the newer one to try fishing it someday.  I wonder how much work it would be to modify Brian's JM stack to fit.

Cool reels.  They just feel solid.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

STRIPER LOU

Very nice John! Look's great! I really like the Sailfisher. Got several finished and a bunch that need work in boxes. I got to figure out how you make them fall over and a complete reel comes out!

It doesn't work here for some reason.

All the best,  ..  Lou

mo65

The original Sailfisher 130 drag stack makes me wonder what was expected from it...a very different setup than most Penn models...a 5-stack with 2 leather/3 red fiber discs. Maybe extra smoothness? Nice job on that classic John. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Thanks Mo. This reel is interesting....guts for 30 lb seem overbuilt, but especially with the carbontex, leaves plenty of capability for a really smooth curve in the drag range for lighter line. For a sailfish reel, I might have reduced the pinion diameter to get up around 4:1 or 4.5 to one for some speed; if using 30 lb mono and a sail burns off 150 yds you are down to a small diameter of spool with a slow retrieve; sails will run at the boat and toss hook on slack in a second.

Maxed Out

Nice job John. Hope you figure out a faster pinion

The 1st year sailfisher was the only year it had a 3 piece spool(1953) according to Professor Mike....

.....and no external drag access. The Sailfisher is commonly found for around $30-$45 average. A reeel bargain  ;) ;)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

If the pinion is changed then either the main gear will have to be changed or the bridge will have to be moved.
-steve

thorhammer

Ted those are sweet! Like all Ted reels lol

Steve, agree.   Referring to design phase.

John

mo65

Leave it up to Ted to have not 1 but 2 mint first year Sailfishers...sheesh...he's killin' me! :D I'm blinded now...what was it I came here for? Oh yeah...I just bought one of these things...and it has a different logo than all the others I'm seeing. Maybe someone can enlighten me? The first pic is what I just bought. The second pic is what I keep seeing. Not a lot of info out there on this bird. 8)

thorhammer

Can't wait to hear the explanation on this one Mo.  With a limited run life relative to other models it's surprising different molds were produced. 

Maxed Out

Hey Mo, sorry I'm such a bad influence. You should have listened to your momma and keep your distance from such bad elements  ;) ;)

I know very little about the 130, but if I had to guess I'd say yours is a later logo ??....I've only seen the old style 130 logo, but like I said, I'm not really very familiar with this model, so just guessing

I'm sure someone out there can add some tidbits about the different logo

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 08, 2018, 10:16:01 PM
I know very little about the 130, but if I had to guess I'd say yours is a later logo ??....I've only seen the old style 130 logo, but like I said, I'm not really very familiar with this model, so just guessing

My guess is the same as yours Ted...I'm thinking it's a later logo too. It looks more "60ish".  8)

Tightlines667

Quote from: mo65 on January 08, 2018, 11:15:39 PM
Quote from: Maxed Out on January 08, 2018, 10:16:01 PM

My guess is the same as yours Ted...I'm thinking it's a later logo too. It looks more "60ish".  8)

X3...that was my guess as well.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rivverrat

What size are these reels ? ....Jeff

mhc

At roughly 3 3/4" diameter - they are a bit taller than a longbeach 66 (3 5/8") and shorter than a mariner (4 3/16") and pretty close to the width of a 2/0 or longbeach 60.

Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Rivverrat